Video game forums are fucking worthless.

I’ve found that gaming forums often break down into disagreements over who’s “teh gayest.” Here at The Straight Dope Message Board, we don’t need an intermediary subject. We can have civilized discussions about who among us is teh gayest without having to involve video games at all.

We also have actually gay people, rendering the whole contest point kind of moot.

Yes, but who’s gayer? Sampiro or matt_mcl?

I agree. I started with their games with Hearts of Iron, then just kept on going with their releases. Victoria is my favorite. I have never seen a gaming forum that had so much sway with the developers.

If only there was some video game that could determine this once and for all! :wink:

When you make niche games then consultation with fans (especially the more hard core) is particularly important.

matt_mcl takes it in a squeaker

http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=sampiro+gay&word2=matt_mcl+gay

That would be a good video game – for me to POOP ON!

You are quickly becoming my favorite poster.

If I could somehow breed you and Vinyl Turnip I could produce The World’s Funniest Post Ever.

Awesome, I thought I was pretty invisible around here. :smiley:

Not from where I’m standing, you’re one of the few posters whose name I can actually remember. :slight_smile: Seriously, it’s like being in a forum populated by Culture vessels .

Viva Piñata

Ok, I’m laughing my ass off at that one.
And Justin Bailey, you’re one of the few posters I can remember. I just think of Metroid!

Video game forums are generally fucking worthless because they mostly consist of kids, and people that can do great impressions of kids. I was there once, a zealous 15 year old salivating over every Xbox press release in the lead up to the launch, ‘bashing’ the PS2 fans with all my factoids about developers and polygon counts. Looking over old posts makes me sob with shame. I even spelled it ‘definately’…

Happily, we now have The Game Room, where calm and thoughtful adults can answer each other’s questions about games without having to endure a horde of illiterate thirteen-year-old meth fiends speaking in tongues.

Agreed. Now I can get my fix of endlessly talking about Total War and Sins of a Solar Empire with people who are actually worth talking to. :slight_smile:

-XT

True. Here, I can talk about the new 2008 Deathtrack, and there might be someone who actually played the '89 version.

You mean they’re whacking each other with their sticks? I’m suddenly reminded of a Greek play that was put on at my school once…

I have legs.

You know, I never thought of the names of Culture ships as being equivalent to board names, but that fits, doesn’t it. You know the Culture Minds have their own version of the SDMB.

And I’ve always wanted to see a GSV named I’m Sorry, Was That Your Planet?.