Vindaloo

Tindaloo, or phall? I was watching an episode of Man vs. Food the other night, and the host was having a phall in New York.

Since I’m the only one who used the word “mild” in this thread, I feel compelled to point out that the context was “mildish end of the vindaloo scale.” (Kind of like “a nearby star.”)

Heat for a kilo of beef was supplied by two teaspoons of cayenne, pepper 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon of ground mustard seeds, and three thai dragon chilies, in addition to the usual savoury spices. This is holding back a bit, for sure - but certainly not “mild” in a general sense.

If I weren’t hosting for people I hadn’t curried up before, I’d have used 5-6 chilies - but there’s something to be said for the quality of mercy.

I need to figure out when I can try making my own vindaloo. I suspect roomie might not be able to handle it (she thinks the Cajun andouille I like is too hot to eat on its own, and it’s only the second-hottest sausage Uli makes), and it would be rude of me to just make it for myself.

What is the point of wasting expensive protein (lobster, shrimp) in a dish like vindaloo?
I’d say it would be a good dish for the cheapest cut of beef you can find-you cannot taste the meat anyway!

Of course you can!

One excellent way of using a vindaloo paste is to use a teaspoon with a tablespoon of thick greek yoghurt. mix that up and marinade a couple of nice salmon steaks overnight.
Then shallow fry (don’t wipe the marinade off) for 5 mins each side and serve with salad and basmati.

I believe Pratchett insists that in the Discworld universe, “Vindaloo” is Klatchian for “mouth-scalding gristle for macho foreign idiots”…

To hijack a bit: Mix some chipotle chilis with sour cream and sliced fresh mushrooms. Add sliced red- and green bell peppers if you like. Put a salmon fillet skin-side-down on a sheet of foil and cover it with the mixture. Seal the foil and cook in the oven for half an hour or so.

Sounds like a winner to me.
Oily fish has a natural affinity with heat and any sort of yoghurt/sour cream. The OP mentioned “kippers vindaloo” in a half-joking way but fresh herrings would be a great choice for a dish like this (or my vindaloo marinade) and of course smoked fish is used in the classic British breakfast dish Kedgeree.

‘Kippers vindaloo’ was a Red Dwarf reference. :wink:

Have it with refried beans, Spanish rice, and a selection of vegetables/squash. Some sliced avocado on the side would not be out of place.

Nonsense. Indian food is certainly spicy, but not necessarily hot. A lot of authentic dishes aren’t hot. (A biryani, for instance.)

Got it and smiled (and know better than to feed my t-rex vindaloo).

…which is why, though we’ve never had it before, we had to get some from Penseys. Now there is a small jar of vindaloo spice in the cupboard, and we’re looking for something to cook. Best starter vindaloo? Lamb? Chicken? If I follow Lister’s advice, I’m pretty sure it can go on anything. But do I want to follow Lister’s advice?

“Lamb” is the correct answer, in my opinion. (So long as you aren’t Arnold Rimmer and wind up with the something which might be mistaken for paneer vindaloo and requires a stomach pump as an apéritif.)

You could go chicken, but I agree with LM - lamb is really the way to go here, the chicken won’t carry any flavor over the boldness of the vindaloo. IMHO mutton would be even better than lamb.

I’ve made pork vindaloo, from Madhur Jaffrey’s book. It’s fantastic. I haven’t made it lately because our kids like spicy, but not that spicy. Now I’m thinking it’s time to make it again–they can eat chicken nuggets.

I have to confess, I love the “wimpy” vindaloo you find on excellent Indian buffets. It is such a flavorful mixture of spices before the hot spices are added, that it seems a shame that it is relegated to the world of stunt foods exclusive to those who are into the endorphin rush from pain. Give me mild anything vindaloo over any curry, masala or korma.

Goat vindaloo. Mmmm.

Absolutely! I have no idea why most Americans seem to have a problem with goat, one of the most tasty meats available.

It’s not readily available here because it’s not popular because it’s not readily available.