Virginia election-talk me down off the ledge

Modnote: Lets drop the CRT hijack immediately. You’re already arguing your pet topic in the pit aren’t you?

Keep this up and I’ll suggest a topic ban.

FYI, McAuliffe set a new record for votes for a Democratic gubernatorial candidate in Virginia. His campaign did, in fact, motivate D voters to get to the polls.

Google Photos

Drop CRT

Yep, because it’s been said, over and over, that CRT is NOT being taught in the K-12 curriculum. Yet Conservatives continue to scream about it. Because “CRT” is just another code Conservatives use - in this case it means they don’t want any American history that mentions slavery, racism, or any topic that makes white people look bad, taught.

And Martin_Hyde has it exactly right – Dems need to get off their ‘take the high road’ stance and fight fire with fire. When Republicans say ‘no CRT in our schools’, Dems need to respond with ‘how about bible study?’ (A few years back, there was a federal lawsuit to stop WV schools teaching bible study classes and there are likely lots of other examples). Dems need to use short, simple responses that show voters what the actual choices are. How can a national party be so bad at this.

Modnote: Drop the CRT side discussion.

So concerning the Va. governor’s race, isn’t this the point at which the loser is supposed to start crying petulantly about fraud and demanding audits? Or is that just a Republican thing?

I thought it was a Stacey Abrams thing. Or perhaps a Hillary Clinton thing. Or maybe a Diebold Conspiracy when George Bush was fraudulently elected the second time. No wait, it’s an Al Gore thing, who had an election stolen from him. No, it was the Russians and Facebook who got Trump elected.

There hasn’t been a Republican elected to the Presidency since George Bush I in 1988 where Democrats did not spread ‘stolen election’ conspiracy theories. Has Stacey Abrams ever said that her opponent won fair and square? Did you ever get to the bottom of the diabolical Diebold machine election steal?

When was the last Democratic Presidential loser to never concede the results of the election?

When was the last Democratic Presidential loser to call a Secretary of State and ask them to “find me some votes” during recounts?

When was the last Democratic Presidential loser to give a speech the same day as the electoral college certification was occurring in Congress, telling their supporters the election had been stolen?

There have been 3 elections since GB I in 1988 won by Republicans. In 2 of those, the Republican won on electoral votes but lost the popular vote. I don’t think you’re painting a real compelling argument here, Sam.

Nobody’s saying that Trump won in 2016 as a result of a stolen election, except Trump himself. Nobody’s saying that Bush II won in 2000 as a result of a stolen election – just that he may not have won at all if the Florida recount had been allowed to proceed. In other words, “election fraud” is a Republican thing.

I think he’s making a good point. The Dems had complained about all three Republican presidential victories since 1988 as being tainted in some way so they cannot claim that they have always acted graciously in defeat. The fact that Trump was worse doesn’t change that.

We might want to distinguish between how the losing candidate acts, and how the most wing-nut element of the party responds to defeat. In every election from 1880 to 2012 the losing candidate has conceded graciously, even in the closest and most suspect elections (1960, 2000). In 2020 the loser went bat-shit crazy and dragged his whole party along for the ride.

Did Stacey Abrams concede gracefully? She came to national prominance with Democrats because the election was ‘stolen’ from her.

Then there’s Hillary:

From this past election:

A blast from the past:

And in 2020, before Biden won and it became a crazy conspiracy theory worthy of getting you censored to complain about election machines:

And here’s some I forgot about with the Bush/Kerry election:

In the meantime, which Republicans other than Trump claimed the election was stolen when they lost?

This Atlantic article is very relevant:

Regardless of whether Republicans hyping up various “concerns” were real or not, as long as those concerns were legit in the minds of voters, Democrats had to take them seriously, or else lose votes.

Seriously. History is made of facts. It can’t be rewritten.

Yes, and one of those ‘facts’ is that even though she conceded, she still kept bringing up ‘questions’ about whether the election was stolen.

This is also ‘fact’, from my previous link:

How many lawsuits has Clinton filed about the election?

Not even a cyber ninja singular in the picture.

If I get out a pair of binoculars and look real carefully, I think I can still see the goalposts.

With the binoculars can you see a Trump concession speech?
How about a McAulife concession speech. No binos required for that one, unless you want to see nose hairs!

We weren’t talking about concession speeches at all. You started that goalpost move because you can’t refute that Democrats have been calling elections stolen since 1988. I well remember the Diebold conspiracy threads on this very board.

We just had Terry McCauliffe repeat the claim that Stacey Abrams had her election stolen. BTW, did she offer a concession speech? I can’t remember.

No, no. I didn’t move any goalpost. I just wondered, with McAulife having lost, if it was an appropriate time for him to start petulantly crying about fraud and demanding audits, or if that was just a Republican thing.