VW and Porsche

I’m confused: Did VW acquire Porsche or did Porsche purchase VW?

My understanding at an elementary level is that the Porsche holding company acquired VW. But I think it’s more accurate to say that all kinds of horse trading happened such that the answer to ‘who acquired whom’ is “yes”.

Um No, Porsche has been owned by Volkswagen Group since 2009, although it took until 2012 for the acquisition to be completed. Volkswagen Group is a far bigger company than Porsche and also includes Audi, Lamborghini, Bentley, Bugatti and Skoda.

See here:
Volkswagen AG purchased the remaining stake in Porsche AG equaling 100% of the shares in Porsche Zwischenholding GmbH, effectively becoming its parent company as of 1 August 2012.[33]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Group

Note that the Wikipedia article says that one of the owners of Volkswagen is Porsche Automobil Holding SE, with 50.7% of the shares.

Didn’t Ducati get rolled up in there somewhere? And what do you have against motorcycles? :slight_smile:

But back in 2007, the Porsche holding company became the majority owner of VW, but under the agreement all the VW management stayed in place. So even though Porsche technically bought out VW by virtue of owning (slightly) more than 50% of the company, VW essentially continued to run the show and has since integrated a lot of Porsche’s carmaking into the greater VW group operations.

I certainly see why the OP is confused since it seems weird that some company you think of as a niche manufacturer seemingly bought out one of the world’s biggest automakers. My understanding is basically that the Porsche holding company was founded way back in the early days of the West German auto industry and was much, much larger than the Porsche sports car operation, including having bought a goodly chunk of VW back before it was the huge global-sized player it is today.

Right, so Porsche Automobil Holding SE bought 50.7 percent of Volkswagen group, which then bought 100 percent of Porsche AG a few years later.

Clear as mud, not sure why the OP is confused :wink: