Wait A Minute -- Isn't This Just Delusional Parasitosis?

I yield to no man in my respect for Matt Drudge and local television reporters as scienticians, but Drudge’s screaming red headline today ("Doctors puzzled over bizarre infection surfacing in Texas… ") and the accompanying story immediately made me think of this column.

I Googled Morgellons disease and some of the sites do mention delusional parasitosis. But OSU (okay, I’ll refrain from cheap Okie cracks) seems to think it is a real non-psychosomatic disease worthy of study, according to the article?

From here

“Some sufferers have tested positive for Lyme disease (borreliosis) and most have chronic fatigue syndrome.”

I’m guessing this has something to do with it. I don’t have a cite but something about Lyme disease combined with CFS just screams hypochondriac lunatic to me.

If this was real I think somebody would’ve ran the fibers through spectroscopy or at least a microscope and did a biopsy or two. I can’t find any references to such procedures or their results, leading me to believe that while the patients themselves might see and feel themselves having open sores that ooze fibers and flies, medical professionals have not actually witnessed this.