Wait, this was off topic?

So someone asked (in IMHO not FQ) about “Levying war on the United States” and I cited John Walker Lindh, who literally levied war on the United States, as in he literally fought US troops on the battlefield (as well as Omar Khadr who didn’t because he levied war on Canada, as a child). How is that off topic?

While I suppose Lindh might be a wrong example (his joining to fight for the Taliban was several months before 9/11), I can’t see how even bringing up the possibility is off topic.

I’d agree, the moderation of that thread makes little sense. The OP was vague and frankly poorly written, but essentially was asking for what a definition of levying war is, and then said he was open to multiple scenarios. The poster who was modded…then posted two such scenarios and they were marked as off topic?

Yeah, I feel like this is the responsibility of the OP to come back and say “that’s not really what I’m looking for.” Moderation seems really unnecessary here.

It’s my recurring problem with how What Exit? seems to do moderation. You can’t just say “off topic” to what looks like a reasonable early answer to an open question without at least defining what makes it off topic. As it is right now, I get the feeling the only “on-topic” answer would be maybe the Civil War, which isn’t much of a discussion.

That is something I would like to see, too. Write out your reasoning. It will make things clearer to others. Plus, sometimes when you write it out, you can see the flaws you didn’t notice in your head, and can either correct them or even reconsider making the post in the first place.

And this isn’t really just a mod thing. It’s something I practice, ever since I got used to people misunderstanding everything I was saying. I don’t know how many times I had a valid point but people read it as something stupid instead, simply because I didn’t spell out my logic.

And I don’t know how many times I’ll be writing a post and realize my point isn’t really valid (or that I have trouble explaining it) and then just not make it at all. Or how many times I completely start over to make a slightly different point.

To be honest, I didn’t really understand the OP, so I can neither condone or condemn your post here. I think you were on topic, but I won’t swear to it.

OTOH-But it was only a Note.