Waitress- RIP Adrienne Shelly

My gal asked me to pick up Waitress on the way home as a friend had recommended it. I enjoyed it quite a lot, it was quirky and kind of crazy. The feel of it was pretty unusual, a very stylized movie that somehow still seemed more “realistic” than a lot of Hollywood films. In any case I’m not really here to sing its’ praises or otherwise discuss the film.
One of the waitresses in the film was an actress I recognized from Hal Hartley’s The Unbelievable Truth. I had a big crush on her back in the day, so when the film ended I looked her up on IMDB. To my surprise, she wrote the screenplay for Waitress while pregnant with her daughter, and also directed the film. This made me feel quite happy for her, as it seemed a project she could be proud of. Then I noticed that she had died in 2006, about 5 months before the movie was released. The cause of death was homicide.

So I know I’m over a year late, and I’m sure most of you are already aware, but I wanted to pay my respects to Adrienne Shelly. I am feeling sad at having learned of her passing, and feel sad for her daughter having lost such a loving mother. Rest in peace.

They did a Law and Order episode based on this story, called “Melting Pot”. Adrienne Shelly was a guest actress on the show once.

Here’s our earlier thread on this.