Walking on Water caught on National Television....

Old Buddhist joke:

“Three monks decided to practice meditation together. They sat by the side of a lake and closed their eyes in concentration. Then suddenly, the first one stood up and said, “I forgot my mat.” He stepped miraculously onto the water in front of him and walked across the lake to their hut on the other side.

When he returned, the second monk stood up and said, “I forgot to put my other underwear to dry.” He too walked calmly across the water and returned the same way.

The third monk watched the first two carefully in what he decided must be the test of his own abilities. “Is your learning so superior to mine? I too can match any feat you two can perform,” he declared loudly and rushed to the water’s edge to walk across it. He promptly fell into the deep water.

Undeterred, the yogi climbed out of the water and tried again, only to sink into the water. Yet again he climbed out and yet again he tried, each time sinking into the water. This went on for some time as the other two monks watched.

After a while, the second monk turned to the first and said, “Do you think we should tell him where the stones are?””

More seriously: This tread reminded me another tale were a disciple showed his master that after decades of training he learned to walk in water. His master scolded him for wasting his time learning a USELESS ability.

Christ and Moses playing a round on the links. At a par 4 on the 17th hole, Jesus continuously attempts to drive his ball over a large water trap, only to keep undershooting the green and losing balls in the shallow pond. Frustrated, and shit out of Titalists, Jesus asks Moses to borrow his last extra ball.

Moses says, “Jesus, short of me parting that body of water, there’s no way you’re gonna be able to park that ball on the green.”

“Shutup Moses” a frustrated Christ replies, “I’ve seen Tiger Woods make this shot plenty of times”.

Keplunk, a furious Christ, decides to take the stroke penalty and give up his futile attempt at a 330 yard drive.

It’s at the same time a now backed up 4 some witnesses Christ walking across the water trap and asks Moses, “Who does that long-haired guy think he is; Jesus Christ?”

Moses turns to the puzzled 4-some and responds, “No my sons, he thinks he’s Tiger Woods”

If someone were walking on water off the coast of Massachusetts? I’d say Joe Kennedy has something on Jesus, and another damn Kennedy is going to be running for president.

I’d say it’s because the guy can’t swim !! :slight_smile:

The reactions, ranging from suspicion to adoration, would be no different than they were 2,000 years ago, and the mass exposure would make no difference. Only the terminology will have changed: instead of saying the man is demon possessed, people will say that the man is a magician.

Besides, Jesus already made His “Second Coming” appearance, and at a time and in a manner that He specified.

I don’t know, I think the mass media of today would make a difference. But then again in today’s society when we are so used to media coverage of bizarre cults, might we dismiss that as the same? Jesus might end up being perceived as David Icke, or a new branch of scientology.

Then again - televised coverage of a miracle?

But the moon landings pictures must have seemed “miraculous” at the time. And there are many people who still don’t believe them. So doubtless it would still take more than televised coverage to convince people.