Wallace & Gromit: "Chuck"?

What’s up with the use of the expression, “Chuck,” in Wallace & Gromit cartoons? I, myself was at first only aware of Wendolene apparently calling Wallace “Chuck” at the end of “A Close Shave,” but a quick web search has turned up dozens of cloned fansites that all say that “Chuck” is one of Wallace’s favorite expressions.

Buh?

What does this mean, this, this … Chuck?

From Webster’s

Date: 1595
– used as an endearment

Lyllyan has it. It’s like saying “love” or “dear” but not gender-specific (or if it is, it’s more likely to be said by a woman to a man, usually an older woman).

One of my housemates in England used the term a lot. It’s kind of like saying “thanks, hon” here. It’s a term of endearment that you can use with people who aren’y your SO.

Really? Hmmm, I analyzed it as ‘choke’ as in a verbalization of the action of choking. I guess I was wrong.

It’s also used in The Wrong Trousers, where Wallace happily says to Gromit, “Happy birthday, chuck!”

How about that. And I always thought that “Chuck” (Charles) was his given name, and “Wallace” was his surname.

Hmm, let me guess - she was from somewhere between Oldham and Ashton-under-Lyne yeah?