Wanted by the Fuzz!

Help! I think I’m wanted by the fuzz! This morning, on my daily commute to college, traffic was light. So I was cruising along, when I came up to an intersection that had two lanes in my direction. The lane I was in had lots of traffic, and the lane beside me was empty. So I put on my blinker and started to change lanes so I wouldn’t have to slow down going through the intersection. But as I started to get in the other lane, the bastard in the red Probe decided to speed up and not let me in. By now it was way too late to slow down, so I gunned it and cut in front of the Probe, barely (I mean inches) missing the van stopped in my lane. As I cut over, I heard a loud POP from outside my door. I didn’t think much of it, because my car makes stupid noises all the time. But, too late to stop, I realized I had been so close in cutting over that my rearview had clipped the taillight of the van. The van made some aggressive moves to get in behind me, and I’m sure that he took down my license. The only visible damage to my car is a tiny chip and smear of paint missing from the very edge of my mirror (they are the kind that come out of the body, not the bolted on later kind) and my mirror was tilted all screwy. I don’t know if I broke the tail-light of the van. I came so close to plastering that van because of the fucking bastard in the Probe that it’s not even funny. What the FUCK is wrong with people that they SPEED THE FUCK UP when you put on your blinker!!?! Now I know I’m not guiltless in this, but I would have made it over with more than enough leeway if not for the Probe. What will/could the fuzz do about this if the van calls me in and gives a description of the events. Will they come after me? Only if there’s visible damage? I’m not scared, per se, but somewhat worried. FUCKERS! BLINKERS DON’T MEAN SPEED UP! IT MEANS LET ME OVER, DAMMIT! Sorry.

–Tim

We are the children of the Eighties. We are not the first “lost generation” nor today’s lost generation; in fact, we think we know just where we stand - or are discovering it as we speak.

I would fill out a police report. That way if the owner of the van files one as well, they’ll know that you aren’t thinking of “getting away with it.” Regardless of the Probe’s involvement, it’s still your fault if there’s any damage to the van, so I’m pretty sure they’d try to find you.

At least by filing a report, you’re being honest.

“ChrisCTP-…the sweetheart of the SDMB…” --Diane
Chris’ Homepage: Domestic Bliss

if you do a report, don’t use the same language.

I hit a mirror on a bus once. Didn’t notice till I got home, called the bus people, they said its nothing…

Hey, you can always call the local cops, see if anyone filed anything first.

You may cry the heavens down upon my head, homer, but why didn’t you just slow down or stop instead of putting youself, the driver of the Probe and anyone in the van in danger?
You say there was nothing you could do except gun it and cut into the next lane. Why did you allow yourself to be somewhere where the “only” thing you could do was dangerous and illegal?
Where were you going that it was so important that you couldn’t “slow down” at the intersection?
Why didn’t you pull over after you realized you’d clipped the van?

If you do get caught, get a lawyer before you say anything. Please. If your OP is any indication, you don’t have the cut to represent yourself – even to the driver of the van.

You may cry the heavens down upon my head, homer, but why didn’t you just slow down or stop instead of putting youself, the driver of the Probe and anyone in the van in danger?
You say there was nothing you could do except gun it and cut into the next lane. Why did you allow yourself to be somewhere where the “only” thing you could do was dangerous and illegal?
Where were you going that it was so important that you couldn’t “slow down” at the intersection?
Why didn’t you pull over after you realized you’d clipped the van?

If you do get caught, get a lawyer before you say anything. Please. If your OP is any indication, you don’t have the cut to represent yourself – even to the driver of the van.

I say you start doing a hellacious amount of coke; and when the cops DO come for you, come out with guns blazing.
That, or call them and tell them what happened, and make sure your car insurance is all paid up.
Something sort of like what you have described happened to me once. Nothing ever came of it.

Satan pointed out a 24 minute lag double post in another thread and here we have a 12 minute lag double post. What the hell is going on here?

“The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind.” - Humphrey Bogart

Who knows. Weird stuff happens with some of the other UBB boards I use. Hopefully the next version straightens things out.

UncaBeer – Your tax dollars bought the fantastic DoD Challenge-Athena satellite communications system. It’s a piece o’ shit in my mind’s eye.