Was it worth the money? (The SDMB that is)

Because I was already addicted to this one! And I should think that holds true for many people here .I suppose I don’t post very much, as as the place has so many highly knowlegable people that I sort of feel like sitting at the back of the room and keeping quiet, but I do very much like it here. As it happens, I paid the cheaper version, but I would have quite happily paid the full price if I had somehow missed the deadline. Live on very cheap bad food to a week or two? - yes. Lose SDMB?, no. (Of course, the price sounds a bit nicer in U.K. pounds - ther is that. :slight_smile:

Yes, I was actually slightly nervous about paying for something over the internet, but, well, that worked with no problems, and although I am a pretty impecunious Celyn, well, simply dividing it by 52 and asking myself, “is it worth that tiny amount for the enjoyment I derive from it per week?” worked for me. (Dunno how paying for message boards while falling behind with the Council Tax sits in the ethical scheme of things, but…! :slight_smile: Needs must. I mean, some things are important, after all.:slight_smile:
I don’t, in truth, really know enough to suggest, as I am tempted to do, that SDMB must be one of the very best message boards on the web, but I should think it has to rank pretty damn high.

The people here are wonderful, and, anyway, this is the first internet message board that I ever met, so even if, for some unimaginable reason, I left it, I’d still have a strange fondness for it.

The mods here are pretty damn good too. I’ve had enough annoyance lately with an outbreak of trolls in a site which I help moderate, and, oh boy, tiresome stuff - it seems to me that, - given that SDMB is really very big, it is a testament to the basic and very good “niceness” (ghastly word, I know, but it’s all that comes to mind right now, as I am am a bit distracted, oops, deranged, from being out to hunt the woolly mammoth for food supplies, otherwise known as braving the supermarket) of the members and mods of the SDMB that the site always gets over any outbreak of troll, and that people are largely civil and considerate.

Civil and considerate, that is, while NOT suffering fools gladly, but instead letting them know that we will NOT help with their schoolwork, but will help point in the right direction to do own research. This is also a Good Thing. :slight_smile:

Oh! I think I am rambling on a bit - forgive me - I have had a bad time of dead computer, then managed to buy a cheap-ish old reconditioned comp, and today’s development is that my brother, whom I see but seldom, was in my area this weekend and very kindly brought me Windows XP, so I’m trying to get used to that , and wondering why XP does not seem to want to make friends with Firefox, and all in all, I am getting quite muddled. :frowning:

Oh heck, to bring this ramble to a close, then…I do not regret AT ALL paying any bit of money if it keeps the hamsters fed.

Hmm - suddenly strikes me - we’re not really going to hear from those who chose to leavre … Hmm. Bit unfortunate, that. Oh, well.

Seems a bit UnGood that your friend wanted you to pay twnety dollars for what was really $14.95, but, well, sometimes there are odd things with credit cards wheeby the card user might be hit with extracharges for that transaction. (SO, anoyther reason why I love this site - when the news came that it would be a sort of “pay to use” thing - it hardly took any minutes for people to be setting up arrangements whereby one who had credit card , or one who was confident with PayPal, or whatever, were immediately posting that they would help other SDMB people in that way.

All the same, I am glad to know that you find it worthwhile for your (rahter more than should me) pennies.

Me. I’ staying, and paying the nect year when it do come… Methinks the small amount of people who predicted that this would be the end of the board, are, wel, not proved correct, thus far.
:slight_smile:

I may be the first to say it was worth the money in a very literal way.

SDMB got me to a DopeFest, where the lovely tanookie gave me a bunch of baby hand-me-down type items – and she wouldn’t even take any money for them. Thanks again!

SDMB also gave me the White Elephant exchange. rocking chair sent me a cool white elephant package with greeting cards up the wazoo that I’ve been sending to friends near and far as well as paint brushes I’ve been using for crafts. (And of course, I was able to get some closet space by unloading some “treasures” on someone else.)

So I’ve definitely made back the $4.95 in goodies alone, never mind all the regular benefits of reading and posting.

I second that devotion.

SDMB- $4.95 (a gift from a friend.)
Two bullshit warnings and being totally ignored and made to feel decidely unwelcome…Priceless.

Totally worth it.

I absolutely love this Message Board. It was worth all of the $4.95. I didn’t want to leave. I have been a member of a few other boards, but they degraded into asininity and I had to leave those. This place is like a very lively town, not a message board.

If you look at my join date and post count, it’s obvious that I am a habitual lurker. But I paid and it was worth it. Why? So I could chime in at times like these and as payback for the years of free entertainment and information.

Definitely worth it. Even if I’d waited until it was $14.95 for the year, I spend at least that much on crappy magazines and other relatively worthless trinkets every month.

Definitely worth it.

START, when your membership comes up for renewal, email me. I’ll front ya the renewal on my PayPal account and you can mail me the exact amount, none of this 20 dollar crap, OK?

Yes, totally worth the money. This isn’t the only paysite I belong to - it seems like any site worth belong to eventually has to go pay to support itself.

I’m not fond of one of our own making a tidy profit helping someone get on the Dope. I never thought I’d hear that a Doper was scalping the entry fee. :mad:

Worth every penny and several thousand more.

It sounds to me like this was someone on the outside who START knows, not a Doper.

IMHO, 'twas worth the $4.95. SDMB is definitely one of the better message boards out there in cyberspace.

Nope. It got me two places to live when I was in a bad place, the best paying job I’ve ever had, and lots of miscellaneous items from various friends and acquaintances. I didn’t feel like typing it all out when I wrote my post though, so I only mentioned the CD. :slight_smile:

It was more than worth it. A great variety of topics to discuss, seriousness and silliness, friendly folk, and quickly feeling welcome are precious things to me.

I don’t ask the thought-provoking questions that bring us all here, and I certainly can’t answer them, but even as a lurker this membership was the best investment I think I’ve ever made.

At my posting rate, this first year works out to one cent per 2.5 posts - and that’s not counting searches. Spending for the charter membership was such an easy decision, it didn’t even take me the whole month to decide. :smiley:

This was my first message board also, and it’s still the one I spend the most time reading. I kind of stumbled upon it by chance (though months later the SD came up in a search for song lyrics so one might almost say I was destined to find it) but by now I’m absolutely sure it’s the right board for me.

Hey devilsknew - long time no see! :slight_smile:

What I like best about this place is right after I signed up I received by FedEx a Welcome To The Boards package.

I must say, the Chysler Cordoba, Plasma Screen TV, Brad Pitt as my personal butler and Antonio Banderas as my massuese were all very pleasant surprises. But the phone call from Cecil Adams…wow…that …that blew me away! Nice guy. We exchanged cookie recipies and he said I was his most favorite MPSIMS poster.

The above post may contain sarcasm.

Worth way more than the $4.95 I paid, IMHO. Although thankfully it didn’t cost way more than that, cuz it’s been a tight couple of years for us. Seriously, though, where else am I going to find such a large group of smart, funny, diverse, clever folks to hang out with for such a low price? It was a great bargain, and I’ll be back next year.

I personally don’t think the quality of the board has declined since we went to pay. YMMV.