Was planning a short visit to Paris in May, should I skip it?

The yellow vests have gotten to the heart of of tourist town in Paris, and I don’t really want to deal with that, and I’m a bit skeptical that this is all going to be smoothed over by then. What do you think?

Never pass up a trip to Paris.

For my money. there are literally 20 different cities within an hours flight from Paris that are more beautiful, welcoming, scenic, safe and affordable than Paris is even under the best of possible circumstances.

What Telemark said. And what ** Royal Nonsutch** said. If you aren’t comfortable with Paris, there are many other places in France to visit.

Maybe its better today! Maybe the grifters are all staying at home because of the riots.

In five to six months, one way or another, the protest problems will be solved. So I wouldn’t let that stop me. AIUI though, there are Gilets Jaunes protests in other French cities besides Paris at this time. I recall recently seeing video of gendarmes dragging some protestor in the streets of Lyon by her hair.

So staying out of Paris may not be enough to avoid protests, if indeed they are still protesting in May.

[Moderating]
This is a better fit for IMHO than CS. Moving.

We had the same kind of concerns about our trip to Barcelona last spring, which we had booked prior to the protests.

I’m glad we didn’t change our plans. Barcelona was amazing and there were no problems. What’s happening in Paris could evaporate in just a few days or weeks. No reason to cancel plans that are 6 months away.

A last minute change may cost you a couple bucks. But as previously stated there are lots of other places you can go in about the same amount of time.

I believe a consensus has been reached.

Anybody go in '68 ? How was that? I know someone who was planning to, but chickened out at the last minute and visited London instead.

The French view their Right To Protest the way some Americans view their Second Amendment, as one of their country’s defining attributes. I actually said this to my French coworkers: they said I wasn’t wrong and one quipped “I’m almost surprised we haven’t gotten to the point where Carrefour sell ready-to-assemble barricades!” “Where do you think those pallets come from?” “Oh!” They consider protests an essential part of their democratic process and know that, as with any other right, you must use it without abusing it if you don’t want to risk losing it.

Not visiting France when there’s a possibility of protests would mean never visiting France; at the same time, if a protest does happen it tends to be ridiculously civilized by the standards of many other countries.

Some foreign folks express the same hesitation about visiting big American cities, but I would heartily encourage them to go.

I mean, come on, it’s a world class city, Paris is. Don’t miss it. This is the sort of stuff you regret missing later on.

I go to Paris just about every other month, and I feel as safe as I do in any major U.S. city. Feels like NYC or Philadelphia, etc. International cities are starting to feel similar. Milan, Paris, London, NYC, Rome, etc.

My favorite places list wouldn’t have Paris in the top 50.

It’s ok, but I’d rather visit humble towns around Europe that are enjoyable because they are more organic in what they are.

A notable place for me is the Emilia-Romagna region of Northern Italy. Towns such as Modena and Parma are simply amazing.

International touristy cities? Meh. (Although, I can say I was there, in Milan, Paris, London, Madrid, Munich, Rome, Prague etc, so I have them off the bucket list, but I go to the Parmas and Modenas when I make my own decisions. Weekend in Paris? Nah! I drive out of Paris and hit any small to medium-sized town.)

Thank you for the fascinating insight into your personal holiday preferences. However you may be surprised to learn that some people like different things from you, things you can run out of pretty quickly in small cities like Modena, but can absorb you for days in the cultural mega cities of Paris, London and New York. Personally, I like a mix – a weekend in Paris here, a long slow drive through Puglia there…

But I digress. OP, Paris is huge - even if there’s a full blown riot going on somewhere, there’s a whole big city to discover where nothing much dangerous will be going on. And I’ve yet to see a demonstration last six months. Go.

I was in Marseille, Lyon, and Paris over the last few weeks. Absolutely no issues in the first two cities, and very little problems in Paris. Though we stayed away from Champs-Élysées, and only saw some signs of the protests near Place Vendôme (mainly the remains of burned Christmas trees and decorations on the street). There was a slowdown of RER B trains (running about half the number of trains) to the airport on the day we left which meant very crowded trains (good luck with getting on with luggage, even carry on size). Of course, in France transportation strikes are always possible, protests or not.

The French love to protest, so deciding to go/no go based on the French protesting is kind of silly. I’ve been to France during some of the protests (Germany too though that was longer ago) and nothing bad happened. Myself, I’d go if I planned to, regardless of what might happen wrt protests in May. If you haven’t been especially you shouldn’t skip it.

If you want to go to Paris, go to Paris. There’s nothing happening now that should prevent that. On the other hand, if you’re just going because you’re in the area and you don’t really care about Paris per se, then give it a miss. There are a lot of really amazing places to see in Europe. (Edinburgh is my current favorite.)

I’ve been to Paris five times, and there are still lots of things I haven’t done/seen there. Sure, I’ve been to other cities in Europe, but there’s something about Paris that I’ll never get tired of.