Was there ever a single funny joke on Full House?

My daughter has become hooked on the show so I’ve been seeing a little bit of it lately and it seems like there’s quite a few jokes. They’re not hilarious or anything, but there’s some valid jokes mixed in with life lessons and stuff. I don’t find most popular sitcoms that are on today to be any funnier.

Well, yeah, I’m sure that’s what was written in the script to get it past the censors, but you can’t tell me the “whore-o-scope” interpretation wasn’t 100% intentional, especially on a show involving Bob Saget.

Well… thanks.

This made me laugh out loud. Not when Stephanie would say it on the show, but in your quick delivery. Well done.

I have no funny moments to share, but a Full House question to ask: is this show now kind of what The Brady Bunch was a few decades ago? When I was growing up in the '80s and '90s The Brady Bunch was still on TV and widely known, though it had ended years before. Full House has been off the air for nearly twenty years (how’s that for making you feel old!) but it seems like many kids still know it very well. I have a young cousin who watched it religiously. Why did Full House catch on? It doesn’t seem like Family Matters or Step By Step or any other shows in the TGIF lineup had as much staying power.

Maybe the writer was a Samuel Beckett fan.

And maybe it’s just me, but you can hear a few “did I just hear that?” kind of laughs from the audience.

I thought of another one: Jesse’s repeated butchering of the “Three’s Company” theme song:

“Come and knock on our door
We’ve been waiting for you
With the thing and the thing and the guy falls off the bike
Three’s company too!”

i’m the exact opposite, i still kind of enjoy saved by the bell. i mean, it’s a stupid show, but i understood that back then too and i still liked it. a lot of the jokes are stupid, but i occasionally laugh, which is more than i can say for full house.

Damn, you just made me realize that Full House is now roughly of the same vintage as the Brady Bunch was in the early 90s when Full House was airing.

Anyway, Family Matters still pops every once in a while, and Boy Meets World, another TGIF sitcom, has attracted enough of a cult following that there’s been talk of doing a revival.

But you are right in that none of the other TGIF shows from that era seem to be as well known as Full House. Step by Step, for example, aired for seven seasons, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen it in syndication. In fact I think the only time I’ve heard anyone even mention it in the past 15 years or so was when they were talking about Patrick Duffy’s career, and even then it’s almost treated as a footnote.

Maybe Dinosaurs? I still see it around sometimes, kids still seem to get “not the mama!” IME

Ahem.

OK, this made me laugh (never seen the show, though).

Full House was dead to me when the entire family spent the whole episode referring to a tortoise as an amphibian. Maybe it was in character for one or two of them to be stupid enough to call it an amphibian but someone should have said, “Uncle Jesse, turtles are reptiles, you dumb shit!”

Not just talk, it’s happening. So yeah, I think it qualifies as the “Brady Bunch” of its day. Suck it, Full House!

oh, crap. really?? if rider strong is going to be on it i might have to watch.