Was this cop justified? (with video)

Wow! of course, you’re right about that. It’s a wonder the cop showed so much restrain and didn’t just unload on the guy! There just aren’t enough of these: :rolleyes:

I’d go further and say that after the cop began laying the beatdown on the (admittedly stupid kid) the kid had rightful cause to defend himself against said cop.

First of all, it’s fake…as in, not real.

Second of all, did anyone here actually watch the whole movie? The “cop” doesn’t defend himself and subdue the guy, he proceeds to kick him and hit him while he’s on the ground and stumbling away. Watch the last couple seconds in slo-mo.

Quite honestly, I think this is a more interesting and discussion-provoking video. It’s the one of the Michigan cops beating up the guy in the elevator.

One might actually argue self-fefense in that case since it seems the guy did actually strike first. But certainly the reaction is way overboard. Anyone wanna discuss that one instead?

A nightstick is an appropriate level of force for an unarmed opponent. Yeah, the guy wasn’t attacking him, but it sure looked like it. The grasping at technicalities involved in claiming that approaching someone forcefully, then shouting while bringing ones hands quickly toward his face isn’t assault because he stops just short is phenomenal. The cop (or, as it may be, fake cop) had a legitimate reason to believe he was acting in self defense.

As for continuing to hit the guy as he’s trying to get away, it’s reasonable for him to try to arrest a would-be assailant. If he’d tackled the guy and tried to put cuffs on, would that be unreasonable?

Jayrot, it’s hard to see what’s really happening in that movie. Did he really hit first? When they have him on the ground, is he still trying to break free?

But that wasn’t the question, was it? Reacd the OP.

The question no longer stands if it was staged.

While I suppose technically you’re correct, iamthewalrus accurately summed up the spirit of my question.

Yes, tackling and cuffing him would be reasonable. Kicking the guy while he’s lying there and making no effort to restrain him is entirely irresponsible. I don’t have a problem with the first hit that put the guy on the ground. Given the situation, it is reasonable that he thought he was under attack. However, if he thought he was under attack, he would have done more to subdue the guy, not let him get up and run to a vehicle holding an accomplice and a possible weapon. Which indicates that he did not think he was under attack, and was just beating the hell out of a guy for flipping him off.

However, I agree with the general consensus that this video was staged. Hell, the fact that the guy was able to get to his feet so quickly and start running after being surprised by a smack to the head with a wood club is, itself, evidence that the whole thing was fake.

Fair enough.

Stopt. he didnt do anything to hurt the cop. It just pissed him off and they went overboard. Self defense works until you stop the effects of an act toward you. Activities after that are considered assault. They had complete control before they decided to beat on him . If any threat toward them was percieved it was long over.

Yeah, just based on that video, I don’t think the guy actually got tased.

I’ve watched the video several times. I think the whole thing was staged.