Was this too much boasting

Wondering if this was boasting or okay.

Quick run down:

I’ve donate blood platelets regularly for about 10 years.
Just reached 20 gallons

At the gym I’ve seen one of the executives of the blood donation agency, and mention to him that I only have 5 minutes left on the cardio machine.

I ask him if his name is _______. It is. Mention that I just hit 20 gallons of donations. He says “great”, we shake hands and introduce each other.

He asks what type of donation that I make and at what location, we exchange some small talk. Then says, no hurry for the cardio machine.

I’m **HOPING **that he didn’t take that I was boasting about the donations. I’m just happy to make them and to hit that mark.
Your thoughts?

I could be terribly off base, but you did a good thing, it’s worth talking about.
Plus it’s his business, so it’s relevant to bring it up.

I say good on ya. Blow yer own horn once in a while:D

Na, that’s cool. He’s an exec at the donation agency, it’s a point of common interest. If it was just some random dude and you start prattling on about how much blood you’ve donated, that would be off.

It sounds perfectly fine to me and appropriate small talk.

As long as it was 20 gallons of blood, I think you’re okay.

As long as it was 20 gallons of your own blood, I think you’re okay.

It’s not boasting at all.

In fact, you should look into getting a “20 Gallons” sticker for your car, like the “26.2” sticker alleged marathon runners have.*

Congratulations by the way.

*they’re not boasting, it’s just part of networking with fellow runners. :slight_smile:

Yeah, this.

Although starting a thread about it here might be stealth bragging.

What you said wasn’t boasting.

Opening this thread might be.

Not bragging. I pretty much don’t do well with notoriety or compliments. Prefer to stay under the radar. Only asked this question, hoping that I wasn’t being bragger.

I’m proud to donate blood. More people should do it.

I remember feeling pretty proud when I hit 20 gallons at the sperm bank.

When I want to brag about something but I don’t want to sound like I am bragging, I say 'I am stupid-proud of myself. I never thought I could do that." It makes it clear that I am showing my happiness in my own achievement, not trying to one-up anyone else.

Matthew 6:1-4: “Beware of practicing your righteousness before men to be noticed by them; otherwise you have no reward with your Father who is in heaven. So when you give to the poor, do not sound a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, so that they may be honored by men.”

… just sayin’…

Nah. It’s a good accomplishment and really the person in this world who would appreciate your donations the most is that very guy. I know boasting and that is not it!

“We’re going to need a bigger cup”.

Yeah, I remember my first visit as well.

Not at all. And if the opportunity presents itself again, you should couple your “boast” with a personal statement of why you donate, how you like the staff/experience when donating, etc.

Might be relevant if he was boasting to random people, but to one of the executives of the donation agency? Not at all. That’s the kind of stuff I’d love to hear from donors if I’m one of the people in charge of the organization.