Washington and Colorado Dopers...social changes since pot became legal?

Assuming this is more for those who don’t or no longer indulge…what changes, if any, have you seen since January 1 regarding attitudes, discussions, etc.? Have you been to parties where people seem more apt to light up? Do you smell it more in public? See more people smoking weed while driving?

It’s my belief that the illegality of marijuana never stopped anybody from trying or buying it. As a result, there hasn’t been much change as far as how many people are smoking. Public consumption is illegal, so it’s not like people are doing bong hits in the park. The one thing I’ve noticed is that people are more willing to talk about it publicly. I was listening to these guys talk about their grow operations down at the dog park. The one really noticeable thing was watching a live band at a bar with an outdoor beer garden, there were lots of people indulging there. :cool:

What about employers that do random/pre-employment drug testing? Have any of them removed MJ from the screening? It’s still illegal under federal law so I can see that being an issue.

I can’t imagine a law enforcement agency allowing it’s staff to partake off duty in something that is still technically illegal.

But legal in the state level. That would all depend on the companies policies, I imagine.

Many businesses don’t bother with drug screenings unless it’s a corporate policy or necessary for the position (e.g. a commercial pilot, federal employee).

But it would be interesting to see how businesses are dealing with the issue in certain cases.

I don’t think for any safety-sensitive job they are going to change things. If, say, you’re forbidden to be under the influece of, or consume alcohol in your job, I don’t imagine marijuana being any different.

are they still having the long lines in Denver?

Irrelevant. Federal law trumps state law. And even if the feds aren’t going to actively pursue it, it’s still illegal and would give give an employer justification to test for it. And many private companies do still perform drug screening.

Wasn’t talking about using it on the job. Was talking about using it off the job to an extent it would show up on a drug screen.

Have there been any employers yet that have policies that state they will not hire, or will terminate someone who tests positive?

With drug testing, the situation thus far with medical marijuana is the the state courts have generally held that employers are still allowed to fire MM patients for failing drug tests. Presumably that’ll still be the situation with recreational marijuana.

It’s a little bit complicated by the fact that some states (including Colorado) have “lawful off-duty activities” statutes that prevent employers from firing people for doing stuff that’s legal off the job. The Colorado Supreme court recently held that medical marijuana isn’t protected by that statute since it’s still illegal under federal law. IANAL, but that seems like a somewhat ambiguous point to me and I could definitely see that going the other way in another state or getting overturned at some point in the future.

I don’t understand. How could a state court rule that federal law is trumped by a state law when clearly it isn’t.

I think you’ve got it backwards–the federal law (illegal) is trumping the state law (MMJ is legal).

Moderator Action

Since this is more of a poll of personal experiences and observations than a factual question, let’s move it over to IMHO.

Moving thread from General Questions to In My Humble Opinion.

Because the law preventing employers from firing people for legal activities is a state law.

The off-duty legal activities statute only says “lawful” without defining it. In the recent MM case, the court held that “lawful” means legal under state AND federal laws, but the statute doesn’t plainly say it. I could definitely see the argument that it should only apply to state laws.

This is where I was coming from. Most businesses are managed at the State Government level.

Someone tested for marijuana in CO might have an argument that it’s perfectly legal to partake in when not on the job (unless his contract or corporate policy explicitly forbids it). Just like alcohol.

Though I understand alcohol isn’t prohibited at the Federal level like MJ is, I would think any course of action against the employee by their employer would first be held at the State level, no?

Washington here. I haven’t noticed any difference. Everyone I know smokes now and did before or didn’t before and still doesn’t. Plus all the potheads I know had medical marijuana recommendations, wink wink nudge nudge.

Our weed stores haven’t opened up yet though so we’ll see how that goes. It won’t be for a while.

I think everyone had the attitude of “well duh, of course it should be legal” so this isn’t changing anything, or else “DANGER DANGER drugs are bad” (not even my conservative relatives feel that way about it but clearly some people I’m lucky enough not to know do) and they wouldn’t have changed their attitude yet anyway. That viewpoint is so out-of-touch that anyone who feels that way is not going to change quickly. So for now it’s all business as usual. Even the Seattle Police explicitly didn’t give a fuck about small amounts of weed possession even before it was legal.

There was an article this morning in the Denver Post discussing smoking Marijuana in federally subsidized housing. It’s illegal, according to the paper, but that doesn’t surprise me. I couldn’t find a link to the article, but if you want to know anything about the Broncos that is that place to read. :smiley:

Bob

Heck, it’s been 20 years since you could smoke tobacco in a bar in freaking BOULDER… the laws overlap and conflict, its gonna take a while for this to get sorted out.

It’s only been, what?, three weeks?

Maybe it is just a bit early to be looking for major social changes?