Washington State abandoned toddler

I can’t find a live link right now, but I just heard a story about a toddler abandoned in the stairwell of a Baptist church in Washington state.

The line that got me went something like: “The child was well-fed, and well-dressed. Someone obviously stayed with him until he fell asleep, and then simply walked away.”

And that brought tears to my eyes.

I have a toddler. They trust you. When you lay down next to them so they’ll go to sleep… they hold on to you and need you to be there.

What a crying shame this story is.

The story is available here

Sure, it is a sad breach of trust, but from what you’ve said, it sounds like someone who loves the kid wanted to abandon him in a place he’d get taken care of, in the nicest way that they could think of. Fucked up? Yes. But far worse things happen everyday to kids at the hands of their caregivers. I’m sure you don’t need me to make a list.

I see this as just a case of someone anonymously putting a kid up for adoption.

:frowning: Poor baby. I have small kids and this is the last thing I would ever do, just past killing myself. But the father is on the lam, and that’s no place for a child, either.

Most people don’t remember when they were 2 years old, so if he goes to a loving home, he’ll be o.k.

They know who he is now, they just don’t know where his parents are. More info here.

No, I know. I’m not even going to rail at the parents; undoubtedly they have things going on that made them believe this was the step to take. And the child was left with a group of people, God bless 'em, that are happy to step in and help.

I just cried at the sadness of the whole situation. That’s all.

They’ve just arrested the father.

A little more detail (as of 06:54 PDT). Seems the father has, shall we say, a less-than-sterling past in matters domestic.