Wasserman Schultz: Toast or not toast?

Funny. Looking over the wiki on the DNC she is already the one of the longest serving chairs in its history. The vast majority serve only 2-4 years. So it really shouldn’t be considered some great coup if she gets replaced after the election. But I guess it will anyway.

I hope they throw her under the bus. I have no problem with Hillary being the nominee, having received more votes she should get the nomination. She has also been a lifelong Democrat and has fundraised for many Democrats. That counts for a lot. But there is no doubt that DWS’ thumb has been on the scale throughout the entire process. She was in the tank for Hillary from day one instead of being the neutral arbiter she is supposed to be. She should be replaced and Howard Dean brought back.

I’m curious why you think this. My take is that the Clinton camp is somewhere between “don’t care” and slightly supportive, but they can’t do anything overt to help her now without lending credence to Sanders’ complaints, which are credible enough already. If getting rid of her helps unify the party, I’ve no doubt they would support doing so, and they undoubtedly view the whole thing as a distraction that’s preventing focus on the general. I would think that if she makes it past November, and Clinton wins, she’s more likely to be safe, assuming she even wants to keep her post. Also, of course, assuming she survives her now well-funded primary challenger and election.

Am I being dense, and you are just making a joke that somehow Bernie’s going to pull out a miracle, become president, and give her the boot? Or do you think Senator Bernie will be vindictive enough to keep working to push her out even after the election is settled?

I was just thinking “don’t rock the boat” before the election. Getting rid of her is a negative for HRC, to the voters. Hence wait until after the election.

But no, Bernie isn’t going to be president because he isn’t going to get the nomination. It’s done. It’s Hilary.

I’m not sure she’ll be gone, but I think they’d risk rocking this boat if they believed dropping DWS would bring Bernie and his supporters enthusiastically into the fold.

Her term as chair ends in January anyways.

I imagine that the Hillary campaign realizes that she wins easily if one of the following two scenarios happen:

1. Bernie enthusiastically endorses Hillary, and the vast majority of his supporters vote for her
  2. She successfully portrays Trump as an unacceptable misogynist/bigot/clown.

If neither of these happens, the election will be close and she could lose. She only needs one of the two to effectively guarantee a big win, but her campaign will be pushing for both – and if dropping DWS leads to #1, I think they’d go for it in a heartbeat.

What exactly would be the process of “dropping” Wasserman Shultz? And would they go into the convention with some temporary chairman?

Hey, I can agree with that 100%!

(post shortened)

Debbie “Shut Up and Vote For Hillary” Wasserman Schultz has become a symbol of what some people think is wrong with the Democrat party. Bernie supporters aren’t mad at Hillary, they’re mad at the party that hasn’t treated Bernie, or his campaign, fairly. Bernie supporters may not chose to support a party that has no respect for the candidate that they believe represents them. Treating Bernie Democrats as if they are Republicans will only lead to Bernie Democrats ignoring the future ramblings of the Democrat Party. Just as Republicans and conservatives currently do.

D"SUAVFH"WS is expendable. Conservatives and Republicans aren’t going to vote for ol’ Hillary and don’t care who the DNC party chair is. But the party still needs to convince Bernie supporters that they have a place in the party. Replacing ol’ Debbie as DNC chair might save Hillary’s attempt at being President. Or not.

Yep, I would agree with this. I already think things are moving in that direction or the responses from Senators yesterday would have been enthusiastic in their support for Wasserman Schults. As mentioned in the OP, they weren’t.

Yep, I got her state wrong and didn’t realize until the edit window expired.

If it happens she’ll step down in some manner and say she has to concentrate on her local congressional campaign. The details aren’t important, it’s all symbolic anyway. She doesn’t actually have to give up the position, one of the complaints about her from a variety of Democrats is her failure to delegate decisions to others who wouldn’t be perceived as biased. She’d have to do that wholesale now, if she had the sense to do that previously she wouldn’t be in this position now.

So no one cares about the actual mechanics of this? Party big wigs can’t just fire her. They’d have to pressure her to resign or have some sort of impeachment vote ( if their rules allow that and it would be election season poison). And I doubt they can just replace her with someone Sandernistas will like. I assume there is a succession line or an automatic election. It’s my understanding that when there’s a Dem President they’d follow his recommendation but this would be a tricky time for that.

They don’t want this to be a public fight. The idea is to get the conflict out of the public eye. No matter what you hear publicly this will get decided with some backroom deals.

re: post 33
If they just got her to delegate more decisions do you really think that would stop the Bernie campaign’s cries of unfairness? I don’t.

Hillary and DBW may be the Democratic “establishment” but they don’t actually OWN the Democratic party. Bernie has every right to call foul and DBW has been deep in the bag for Hillary since before Barack Obama was President and I don’t think she can be fair about it.

If she did that from the beginning then his complaints would have sounded hollow. If there was anything that took hold she would have been in a position to call for reason. Even if every decision she made was purely objective it still looks bad because she made them. It never sounds good when someone with a clear bias says they will call it down the middle.

Because, just being fair to Bernie is caving to him.

How much of a policy difference was there between Obama and Clinton?

Giving Bernie more of a say in matters is political reality. Party politics is not winner take all, especially not if you want to win the general elections.