I often hear people saying “Watch that first step, it’s a doozy” or “it’s a killer”. Is this a quote from a movie or a TV show? Where did it come from?
One movie that I know of that could be the source is “Groundhog Day”. It is said to Bill Murray’s character AFTER he’s stepped off a curb into a pothole full of icy cold water.
I always associate it with Warner Bros cartoons. I also seem to remember it as “watch that last step.”
Doozy at wordorigins
The word predates the 1920s-era Model J Duesenberg, the phrase may or may not.
[QUOTE=Squink]
Doozy at wordorigins
The word predates the 1920s-era Model J Duesenberg, the phrase may or may not.
[/QUOTE]
I think we’re trying to find the phrase “watch out for that xxxxx step” rather than the “doozy.”
I can find both “last” step and “first” step used in newspaper stories from the 1930’s. So, can’t say which it was, and where it came from.
[QUOTE=samclem]
I think we’re trying to find the phrase “watch out for that xxxxx step” rather than the “doozy.”
[/QUOTE]
Sure. I thought the Duesenberg might be a way into the history of the phrase. Unfortunately the vehicle crashed and burned.
[QUOTE=samclem]
I can find both “last” step and “first” step used in newspaper stories from the 1930’s. So, can’t say which it was, and where it came from.
[/QUOTE]
Late 30s or early 30s?
Given it’s frequent use in Bugs Bunny cartoons, my money would be on a running gag from some popular radio show; something like Fibber McGee’s closet.
[QUOTE=Colibri]
Late 30s or early 30s?
Given it’s frequent use in Bugs Bunny cartoons, my money would be on a running gag from some popular radio show; something like Fibber McGee’s closet.
[/QUOTE]
Late 30’s. Funny you should bring up radio/Fibber McGee. That was the first thing that crossed my mind when I first read the OP. Maybe we’re on to something.
[QUOTE=cormac262]
One movie that I know of that could be the source is “Groundhog Day”. It is said to Bill Murray’s character AFTER he’s stepped off a curb into a pothole full of icy cold water.
[/QUOTE]
<<Phil steps in a deep puddle and Ned says: “Watch out, that first step’s a doozy.” >>
Exact quote and all.
It’s before GHD. I heard it on early WB cartoons, where a character would go walking down a flight of stairs, but the last one would lead off into a loooooooooooooooooooooooooong fall. Or the first step.
[QUOTE=samclem]
Late 30’s. Funny you should bring up radio/Fibber McGee. That was the first thing that crossed my mind when I first read the OP. Maybe we’re on to something.
[/QUOTE]
I checked a couple of Fibber McGee sites (the show started in 1935) , and couldn’t find it mentioned as a running gag. It might have been from some other program.
[QUOTE=gigi]
<<Phil steps in a deep puddle and Ned says: “Watch out, that first step’s a doozy.” >>
Exact quote and all.
[/QUOTE]
Not surprising, since as samclem says the phrase had already been around for more than 50 years. I recollect it being used by Bugs Bunny; while I can’t give a cite, I have the impression it was used in cartoons dating from at least WWII (the one with the gremlin?)
Yeah, Warner Bros is how this became a meme, though doubtless is was already an old joke when they started using it. Here’s a wav file (posted here, by whom I don’t recall, on a previous occasion this question came up) of Good Ol’ Bugs delivering the line.