Water on the Moon!

NASA finds millions of tons of water on the Moon! If I am interpreting this correctly, I would be very surprised!
Okay, really, ramifications?

Why would you be surprised? There have been indications of this for a long time now.

As for the implications, I’d say that when someone gets the will to go to the moon, it will make it a lot easier to create a permanent base or research facility if they don’t have to cart in water, or create it from the local materials (which would be energy intensive).

-XT

That 600 million (metric) tons amounts to just 0.6 cubic kilometers.
Crater lake in Oregon holds 7.5 times as much water.

Its gonna take some serious tech to get into those craters where the ice/water is located. They are amongst the coldest places in Solar System/Universe and most materials we use experience issues when nearing ‘absolute zero’. Most folks learning of this ‘finding’ do not realize this non-trivial aspect or the hurdles of getting the water from the brutally-cold holes.

IMHO, the greatest part of knowing there is ample ‘water’ is that water is easily made into ‘rocket fuel’ (hydrogen and oxygen work nicely for propulsion/energy.) Carrying 100% of round-trip fuel from Earth’s surface is a MAJOR limitation of any/all missions, so the ability to “fill 'er up” from a local depot for the ride home or to go elsewhere (like Mars!) allows a much more robust cargo/craft/crew. Of course there are other fuels used at times, but H2O in a shallow gravity-well can certainly fill many, many needs (other than fuel, that is).

Hope I made sense :slight_smile:

With enough water, it may be relatively easy to build habitats on the moon. If you could find an uncollapsed lava tube and seal the ends, and fill it with a few million gallons of water, you could eventually build a self-sustaining colony of hundreds to thousands of people.

Or, with solar energy and lunar soil we might be able to make a type Fiberglass-skinned aerogel habitat.

I don’t see getting that big a problem. You just have to use heaters. A nuclear-powered digger that extracts water ice and hauls it in bricks back to the sunny inhabited regions doesn’t sound impossible. You just have to heat everything, like we do with rovers on Mars and deep space probes.

Every passing year just verifies the claims of George Adamski- I expect an announcement about the Venusian Nordic civilization and the Great Council of Saturn any day now.

Yep. And don’t forget: Controlled fusion is only a few years away!

Until we can find a cheaper more efficient way to escape Earth’s gravity well mankind won’t be going anywhere soon.

How much water is in how much “soil”? If a couple cubic feet gets me a gallon thats great. If I have to process a cubic mile to get it not so much.

And don’t forget the Helium 3 that the Moon has! That’s the REAL goal to establishing operations on the moon. A proof of concept Helium 3 reactor has been accomplished, and according to projection, ONE load the size of the shuttle payload would power the USA for IIRC a few years! (and I know they won’t use the shuttle, it’s just a size example). China and India are very interested in mining the moon for Helium 3 since it is so rare on Earth.

later, Tom.

Cite?

Stranger

It’s MPSIMS!
But here ya go… Race to the Moon for Nuclear Fuel | WIRED

I haven’t done thorough investigation whether it was disputed, but… It’s MPSIMS!

later, Tom.

Which just means you can sling random unsubstantiated claims with abandon?

From the cite:
…futuristic power plants that have been demonstrated in proof-of-concept but are likely decades away from commercial deployment.
So, someone drew an “artist’s rendering” or put it as a bullet on PowerPoint chart somewhere. Meanwhile, the most credible optimistic estimate for the D-T fusion cycle (which is two orders of magnitude easier to achieve than D-[sup]3[/sup]He by the Lawson criterion) is thirty years. Regardless, it will probably be a lot easier to accumulate [sup]3[/sup]He from the solar wind or just produce it artificially (as the end product of tritium decay) than sift it from the lunar regolith.

There is no real end goal to establishing an outpost on the Moon other than the prestige of doing so. The scientific and technical merit of doing so is minimal. As for water, it would actually be more surprising not to find it somewhere on the surface, as it is quite abundant in the solar system as a constituent of comets and planetoids which have often impacted the Moon’s surface, as well as every other planetary body. What would be of scientific interest is finding liquid water (or signs of liquid water having existed in a persistent manner), as this would open the possibility of supporting the development of life independent of the Earth.

Stranger

To be fair, the Police wrote about this long ago:

At least that’s the way I heard it.

I made a comment. It was correct. “futuristic power plants that have been demonstrated in proof-of-concept” You could have googled it yourself and found the info. I’m not posting in GQ nor Great Debates. I always like the ones on here that have to pick nits and be “Oh SO Right!” Probably the main reason I quit posting and reading here 10 years ago before Wally died. Some folks just can’t let the entertainment flow, no matter which forum they are in. Thanks for reminding me, since I obviously sling unsusbtantiated claims with abandon.