Way to besmirch your alma mater

Naw, much as I’d love to, one of my dearest friends married an alum and rabid Wolfpack fan. I had to stop hating NC State when that happened. :slight_smile:

I didn’t mean to diss Sewanee (figured I’d screw up the name–shoulda gone with “University of the South”)–I just meant when I was in admissions I heard a lot of uninformed high school kids (I should not have used the general term “people”) turn up their noses and sneer at places like that as if they couldn’t be any good, just because they hadn’t heard of them. When the truth is, those same narrow-minded students would be fucking lucky to get their application even considered by those places. It just chapped my ass to no end.

Cranky,

I understand your frustration. Folks are happy to talk about Clemson (or at least tease me about it) or NC State, but say the words “Sewanee” or “The University of the South” and you can see the eyes glaze over. Should Cranky Junior get interested in Sewanee, I’m still on quite good terms with a number of faculty who’d be happy to talk with your young 'un.

Apologies for the hijack, Jarbaby. You’ve every right to be peeved.

I wonder if their dicks shrink when their football team loses?

Caveat: What I am about to say does not excuse the boorish behavior of those Northwestern Alums that gave you shit. It is merely a possible explanation of where that comment comes from . . .

Now, here goes . . .

My BIL went to Northwestern and was a member of its marching band. (This was, back in the not so long ago days when NU’s football team sucked.) Anyway, at some point in each game that NU was getting its ass kicked (pretty much all of them) the band would start a cheer: “That’s alright, that’s okay, you’re going to work for us one day.” It was the students’ way of shrugging off the fact that their team was complete and utter shit.

That said, I must reiterate that the chant is funny in the context of a college football game where your team blows but not in the context of the party you went to. It is possible that the dickhead at the party was dredging up the typical NU student reaction to a loss.

Pffffbbtttt!!! Groundhogs, all the way!
<warbles>
Stand, Old Ivy
Stand firm and strong
Grand Old Ivy
Hear the cheering throng
Stand, Old Ivy
And never yeild
Rip!
Rip!
Rip!
The Chipmunk off the field!
</warbles>

Fenris, Who’s favorite musical is How to Succeed!

they are probably right too!

of course, THEY will be working for guys who went to USC!

(relax, its a joke…maybe)

I mock you all from my comfortably Ivy League college.

Pah.

You get 10 extra points for knowing what a CHUD is. I salute you.

Marc

So would “Sock Full of Come”. I see them as being sort of like Gwar or Impotent Sea Snakes.

This is one band I never thought I’d see mentioned on the SDMB!

I like the fact that these people are getting their underpants in a knot over Northwestern football. Hell, they were 3-5 going into the game - they knew they sucked. Hell, they’ve sucked good and hard 48 of the last 50 years. I went to a Northwestern game a few years back, and I think that those three guys at the party were the only ones in the stands. Coincidentally, I believe they were jerking off then as well.

Not only that, Northwestern is in a dry county. Why someone would want to step foot in Evansville is beyond me.

Northwestern, sheesh.
Like they can hold a candle to Ohio State!
Go Buckeyes!!!

[sub]Football is a religion in Ohio[/sub]

Munsch, FTR, Northwestern is in Cook County, Illinois, that also contains the city of Chicago, which most certainly is not dry. The City of Evanston is home to NW. It used to be dry, but is not anymore.

I would have loved to go to NW. It’s a great school, near a major urban center, and situated right on the shores of Lake Michigan. But, alas, I am too stupid.

Abe Babe, who went to school near LA at Claremont McKenna College, which is not known to anybody east of Colorado.

Just another Clemson alum (MBA, '98) checking in.

Oh yeah, since this is the pit…

Those rat-fucked, take it in the ear for a beer, Northwestern sons of bitches suck!

See? I told you Northwestern sucks donkey balls. :smiley:
tiggeril
University of Chicago :smiley:

[sub]Yeah, not that we’re much better, but I’M here, so we gotta be, right?[/sub]

They beat us 44-7, what does that say about us?
::mumbles something about 0-10, 22 game losing stread::
nevermind

Preach it, Cranky. One of the jokes on campus here at U of C is that “We’re the best school in the world… that no one’s heard of.”

And if ONE more person asks me, “Oh, do you mean U I C?” (That’s the University of Illinois at Chicago, for nonMidwesterners), I’m going to go insane.

tiggeril
Class of '04
[sub]We have more Nobels than you do! Neener neener neener![/sub]

:smiley:

Oh, you want a school that nobody’s heard of? I got one for you. . .how 'bout The Philadelphia College of Textiles and Science? Yep, that’s my alma mater. I’m a proud member of the Class of '92. Of course, my school doesn’t exist any more, since they’ve changed their name to Philadelphia University. Let’s all hear it for dear old PU!

tigg, you guys may have a bunch of Nobels, but we have the guy who invented AstroTurf! So neener neener neener yourself! :smiley:

Zap!

HEY. Take your nobel prizes, your astro turf, your textiles and longhorns and football trophies and shove 'em up yer asses.

I went to Bowling Green State University.

Alma Mater of one mr. Tim…fucking Conway.

What’s a Tim Conway?

about a hundred and twenty pounds.

jar

What’s the best state of mind?

Ask David Letterman.