We are billion year old carbon

Apparently, according to Joni Mitchell in Woodstock.

I’ve heard this song approximately a billion times (mostly by Crosby, Stills and Nash) and never once did I notice this phrase. I assumed it had something to do with the “devil’s bargain” and never paid any attention to it.

I’m usually a very lyrically aware person, and how I missed this FOREVER is astounding to me.
Any other lyrics that jumped out at you after a long period?

“I Don’t Like Mondays” by the Boomtown Rats.

I didn’t know that at the time, but some years later it clicked. Not the “I don’t like Mondays” line but “And daddy doesn’t understand it, / He always said she was as good as gold,” because I remembered Spencer’s father saying that she was “good as gold.” Funny what sticks in your head.

I never heard the billion year old carbon line either, and know that I know I can’t remember what I imagined it was.

I was dumbfounded recently to learn that Kate Bush was singing Jeux Sans Frontieres in Peter Gabriel’s Games Without Frontiers. I thought it was Gabriel singing she’s so popular high-pitched.

^ Don’t worry, everyone thought that!

Me included!

Well, I for one did not :cool:

(I thought it was “she is so funky now” :smack:)

No, it was “she’s so fun to lay”. Dam rock songs - always with the sex. Zex und zex und zex!

And, seriously? “billion year old carbon”? Wow. I always thought it was “caught in the devil’s bargain.” Or something close.

Wow! I never understood who she was, or why she was so popular . . . this explains it!

mind blown :smack:

In the Matthews Southern Comfort version (the first one I heard) they omit the line completely.

We are stardust
We are golden
And we’ve got to get ourselves back to the garden

As an aside - I like that version. It always gave me a bit of a “sci-fi” feel. It’s about lost traveling aliens, trying to find their way home, rather than dirty hippies at a badly-organized rock concert.:slight_smile:

IIRC, its billion year old carbon in the first 2 verses, and devils bargain in the 3rd.

Huh! You speak the truth.

Now I’m going to have to listen when I get home. I don’t trust my memory any more…