Weathermen in Los Angeles?

I’ve never been to LA, but after seeing Steve Martin playing a weatherman in LA Story (“It’s 70 degrees today, and SUNNY!”) the question popped up in my head and I wondered- what is there in LA for a weatherman to do? It’s always temperate and sunny there. Does every weatherman wish he worked in Los Angeles?

I’ve thought about that, too. Actually, the LA area does get some real weather every now and then. Earlier this month, it snowed in the nearby mountains. Snow in June! LA itself had cool, rainy weather. Temps were only in the 50s! As Steve Martin said in the movie, don’t panic! Try to stay calm! (or something like that, but it was funny).

Also, I bet LA people who travel would like a weather report for the nearby states and the nation. And beach goers, surfers, and boaters would be intereseted in the ocean conditions (surf, tide, wind, etc.). Also, fire hazard conditions, smog reports, and earthqauke activity are probably part of an LA weather cast. Their ‘weather’ is different than most of the nation (rain, snow).

Have you noticed on satellite images how often there is a big, gray/white, cloudy area over the S. Pacific ocean off the S. Calif coast? I seem to see it a lot on the satellite images. I always wonder what keeps that cloud mass from moving East on to S. Calif. I guess there aren’t tides and jet stream to carry it that way. It seems to hang over the ocean there like a giant blob.

Someone from LA can better answer this question.

“I guess there aren’t tides and jet stream to carry it that way”

I meant currents, not tides.

No. I guess you haven’t ever been to LA. Except for extremes in cold (below freezing) we suffer much of the same weather phenomena as the rest of the country. 100+ degrees is not uncommon in the summer. This compounds our air quality problems and it is something that people need to plan for, especially the elderly. Dry and windy conditions in the late summer/early fall bring us very destructive brush fires. When it rains, here, in the winter, it does it all at once, like a monsoon. Flooding in the coastal towns is a regular occurance because these heavy, albeit short lived, rains are accompanied by large surf and high tides.

Granted, we don’t have the same degree of extemes as Buffulo or Chicago, but we still need to know what we should be wearing for the day and if we should avoid certain “weather suceptable” (read Malibu canyons, the Sepulveda flood basin and Bolsa Chica) routes to work.

Also included in the weather report are ski and surf reports as well as smog alerts.

PapaBear’s answer is, as always, entirely accurate. I just have a few crumbs left to mention.

First, earthquakes are not covered in our weather reports. They aren’t really as common as all that. We’ll maybe get a few per year big enough to feel, and they’re mentioned in passing by the regular anchor team. The big, destructive ones are very rare and they’re covered in national as well as local news, not by weathermen.

Second, those clouds that hover off the coast are called the marine layer. They are kept off the coast by the difference in temperature between the land and sea, although they do encroach during the nights and mornings. San Diego, where I live, is famous for “June gloom”, which is caused by the marine layer either not burning off at all, or at least not until afternoon.

That said, the forecast for San Diego today is 70 degrees and sunny. Maybe we’ll get an earthquake though.

As he succeeds, he takes no credit. And it is just for that reason that credit never leaves him.
– Lao Tzu, Tao Teh Ching

As far as what an LA weatherman actually has to say, that has already been covered.

I just wanted to say that LA weatherman have THE stupidest, most fake names I have ever encountered–the worst of which is “Dallas Raines,” although “Johnny Mountain” isn’t too far behind.

But Fritz–Fritz is groovin’.

Laura

“Me fail English? That’s unpossible!”

“English? Who needs that? I’m never going to England.”

Dallas Raines is his real name I believe.

And yes, contrary, to what you may believe, LA does have weather. However, it doesn’t change as much.

Also, if there is one drop of rain, every station goes on “Stormwatch” and sends reporters out to look for mudslides in Malibu and flooded intersections in other parts of the area.

Of course, you could read Mike Davis and get into an argument with someone over how much “weather” there is in Southern California.

Also, I can point out that after living in California for 14 years I’ve noticed that Southern Californians complain about the weather as much as anyone else. As soon as it drops below 60 degrees people will walk around saying “I’m freezing”. When it’s overcast people will say “What terrible weather we’re having, I wish it would clear up.”
Of course, I find it more depressing when you’re a distance away from the city, and see the brown/green cloud hanging over it. But people will still take their car if they go from one store to another across the street. The reasoning is “otherwise I would have to walk back anyway, so why not take the car?”

Jacques Kilchoer
Workers of the world, unite! You have nothing to lose but your chains.

Is Dr. George Fishbeck still doing the weather for KABC? That cat was a hoot.

Tim
“My hovercraft is full of eels.”

Do “firestorms” count as weather?

Growing up in SoCal, I thought that Coastal Eddie & Onshore Flo were a team of TV weather people…

TT

“Equal Opportunity means everybody has the same chance at being incompetent.”
–Dr. Lawrence J. Peter

Since brush fires (not true firestorms, like you got in Dresden and Hiroshima), are often caused or exacerbated by the weather, the weathermen are usually prominent when they occur.
You get to see them pointing to a big “H” over Nevada which helps funnel the Santa Ana winds through the canyons and passes.

As for Dr. George Fishbeck, he retired several years ago. He had no Ph.D.

What is there for LA sportscasters to do during pro football season?

As I’m sure (going by the name) that cheesehead can vouch for if any weather man wants a fun job all they have to do is come to Wisconsin. In Milwaukee in the past couple of weeks we’ve gone from literally 90 and humid to 40 and raining in a matter of days (usually with no warning at all, sometimes even happens in the corse of a day)

Formerly known as Nec3f on the AOL SDMB

To add to the thread. Seattle weathermen from Nov to May are pretty much useless. We all know it’s going to rain and we all know it will be cloudy. They should just pay them to say “you know what’s happening” and then move on to more important news.

To deal with men by force is as impractical as to deal with nature by persuasion.

LA sportscasters give football results during football season. They just pick whatever gave they feel is the most important or exciting to lead with.

Dallas Raines is not only his real name, but he is one of the few TV weatherguys in the country who is an actual meteorologist and not a frustrated stand-up comic (A la Fritz…).

As for sports, BobT called it right. Local sportsguys report scores the same way that a sportscaster in Portland, Houston, or Cleveland would. I’m crossing my fingers that it stays that way, too. The NFL is desperate to foist a new team on us, and the politicians seem to be just as desperate to throw money at them as every other city in the country has been…