Web-based instructions on building a web page?

Are there any good sites on the web that will step me through putting together a web page. I need something appropriate for a complete beginner but on the other hand, I don’t need animation, video, music, fancy transitions or any dozens of fonts. I’m looking to make a web site to advertise a small product. The site would be primarily text in different fonts (2 or 3 max) and a few jpeg/gif files.

TIA

Testy

Further to my last post. Not sure if it makes a difference but I have MS Front Page on an XP system but also have a Fedora 5 system. I’m not sure whether the Fedora system has the necessary tools.

Thanks

Testy

When I was starting out, the Webmonkey tutorials were invaluable. They’re nearly 10 years old, but still invaluable for the basics of simple web page construction.

Oh, and Frontpage sucks donkey bollocks. Learn how to code - it’s easy.

jjimm

Thanks. I’ll certainly give the tutorials a try. As far as the coding goes, I really wouldn’t know where to start. I used to write Fortran and machine code on DEC PDPs and some mil-spec stuff but it’s been a looong time and I suspect most of that would not be applicable. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks again.

Testy

Whenever I need to learn a new web technology, W3Schools is the first place I look.

Writing code is easy–just open up notepad, write some code, save it as a .html file, and your browser will interpret it as a webpage.

ultrafilter

Thanks for the site. I’ll give it a try. In all honesty, this seems much easier than I had thought. I’ve been going through the webmonkey site mentioned by jjimm and realized I was making this much harder than it needed to be.

I’ve been putting this off for months and feel amazingly stupid for doing so.

Thanks again

Testy

I’d like to recommend a freeware WYSIWYG web editor called Namu6 - jjimm is right that basic HTML coding isn’t hard, but not everybody likes doing it that way, and if you want a nice, clean-looking website up and running really fast (perhaps in the meanwhile you’re learning HTML), I haven’t found a better, simpler tool. Their own website is designed (for the most part) using the tool.

The reason I like it so much is not because of the features it has, but because of those it deliberately leaves out. You pick (or define) a theme for your site, then you create the content and it is nigh-on impossible to violate the style you have chosen. The strength of this is that it is very difficult to commit those grave errors of design committed by many a newbie web designer (lots of different fonts in lots of different colours and sizes, for example).

It doesn’t quite do everything I want (no web forms, for example), so I use it to create a skeleton site, then output the project to a folder and hack the HTML by hand to insert the necessary extras.

I don’t work for them, BTW, but I can’t help but gush; for those of us that don’t have the time to acquire jjimm’s level of comfort with web coding, I think it’s just right. (YMMV)

Mangetout
Thanks for this. I’m D/Ling it now. The web site I want to make is intended to look professional as it is for my own (very small) company and the thought of zillions of fonts, animated, flashing text and the like is exactly what I don’t want.

Thanks again.

Testy

I have used Lissa Explains in the past. It’s for kids, which meant it was right about my level. Hee.

The Webmonkey HTML Cheatsheet is invaluable. If I can write some simple HTML, anyone can.

Savannah
Thanks, I’ll give Lisa a try. I’ve already generated a couple of things using the Namu6 ap that Mangetout recommended. So far, they aren’t looking like I want, but that is more a need for fiddling with it and learning the ap.

Thanks again

Testy

I’m going to have to try that Namu6 app as well. Thanks!