Weekend Sleep Schedules for Couples

I am wondering if most couples have the same weekend sleep schedule. My BF doesn’t get up before 2-3 p.m. on weekends unless absolutely necessary. On the other hand, I wake up at 6 am (yes, I know I’m sick) go running, walk the dogs, do the laundry, surf the net, study, and anything that I can without waking him. Usually, it’s about six in the evening before he really feels like doing anything. Since we’re both full-time students with internships, we don’t get to spend much time together during the week as it is. I am not really complaining, just wondering if others face this issue and how they deal with it.

We normally get up within 15 minutes of one another. 10:30 this morning, 9am yesterday. One one of us is exhausted or ill, the other would get up and leave them be, but that is not common. Is there a reason he sleeps until 2-3pm and is inactive until 6pm? Hangover? Up until 4am Fridays?

Just a personal observation, but when I was married several years back I did the same thing. I worked 50-60 hour weeks and went out most evenings with my wife, but on the weekends I slept in 'till at least noon and usually to 2:00PM or so.

It turned out that I was suffering from depression. I led a ‘normal’ life during the week, but needed the escape that sleep provided on the weekends to recharge. Worked for 4 or 5 years and then I crashed.

I’m not saying that your BF is depressed, it’s just that your post reminded me of what I had been doing.

Or he might just be a night person and has to accomodate the work week hours and then he can relax and be on his own time on the weekends. Does he stay up late as well, or does he just sleep most of the weekend away?

He’s definitely a night guy. Sometimes goes to the gym at 11pm, writes his papers at 2 am in the morning. He has morning classes this semester, and it’s like death to him to be in class at 9 am.

My husband is a night person, and I am a morning person, and frankly, I wouldn’t have it any other way: it gives us each our own “alone time” in the house,and I think we would both sorely miss that if we were on the exact same sleep schedule.