Weekly Comic Book Discussion 1/4/2007

The rest :

Manhunter #27 - I desperately hope it’s him.

Superman - Was that the last issue of the arc? Isn’t there supposed to be a resolution?

All-Star Superman - Heh. Such a great book.

Atom - Gotta love the Haid.

52 - I wish I could time travel to see the next few weeks’ worth of this book.

Speaking of time travel, it’s supposed to be more difficult in the DCU OYL, according to various comments - but both Atom and Flash are currently featuring Time Travel.

Hmm. I’ll agree that there are bits in the massive cross-title crossovers where it’s not clear what’s happening when between the main and the tie-in titles, but I’ve been watching the Spidey arc pretty closely and this particular thread holds together the strongest. I’ve got CW 5-6, ASM 535-7, and PWJ 1 right here…

ASM 535; p. 21
After confirming Parker’s about-face, Iron Man tackles Spidey, sending him through a wall. (to be continued)

CW 5; p. 4-7
After just getting blown through wall, Iron Man & Spidey face off, culminating in Cape Killers shooting through the glass; permitting Spidey’s escape, plummeting to the street below.

ASM 536; p. 2-6
Spidey crash-lands on the street below; pursued by Iron Man. They face off. Spidey escapes into the sewers.

CW 5; p. 8-10
Spidey’s running through sewers with the new Thunderbolts in pursuit.

CW 5; p, 10-11 & PWJ 1; p. 26-28
After being bombed by the Jester & Jack O’Lantern; Spidey is rescued by the Punisher. Spidey, still bombed out of his gourd, sees a weird demonic skull creature.

PWJ 1; p. 29
Punisher carries Spidey off towards the Secret Avengers lair.

CW 5; p 15 & PWJ p. 32
Punisher delivers Spidey to Secret Avengers lair.

ASM 536; p. 7- 22
[Caption: Sometime later] A non-costumed Parker catches up with MJ & May at the school. They hole up in a seedy motel. Pete gets back in the old red & blues, crashes a newscast and makes his speech.

ASM 537; p. 1-21
Spidey’s back at the hotel and sees the Torch’s message to “call me.” Spidey and Cap rendezvous and Spidey follows Cap back to their headquarters.

CW 6; p. 8
Spidey’s back at the Secret Avengers HQ.

I’ve been pretty impressed that the different title’s “cameras” have been able to include the relevant bits of the same events across the titles so consistently. And I’m not sure what kind of time-lapse indicator you’re wanting here.

On the other hand, if you simply don’t like the Civil War event for whatever reason, then that’s totally your prerogative. I’m just trying to defend my own previous post about how the order of events make sense to me.

No explanation for Parker’s highly variable health? Or the editorial caption in Spidey 536 that indicates (part of) it takes place after Civil War #6? Or the fact that 535 and Civil War #5 have Spidey and Iron Man’s fight beginning under different circumstances? (The Civil War #5 stuff - presuming that conversation happens AFTER Iron Man shoves him through a wall? No.)