Weird Al’s “White and Nerdy”

I have to confess that I don’t get the bubble wrap reference.

Damn. Bob expanded my consciousness.

That was freakin sweet.

Awesomeness.

That bit in Bob about the harmonica solo almost ruined it. What could fit instead on that card?

Ask Schrödinger. I bet he’d know.

I’ve been saying for 20 years “Weird Al” is one of the most underappreciated music masterminds we may ever see. And you can put that statement in the time capsule. It will be just as valid no matter what year it’s unearthed.

I heard it a couple days ago on Bob & Tom and will now just give in to ecstacy and watch the video.

And he was turned down for a star on the Walk of Fame earlier this year after fans raised the $15,000 needed for a nomination.

3 Grammys, 9 nominations, 38 gold or platinum album certifications in the U.S., Canada and Australia …

My computer doesn’t do videos so I googled the lyrics. Funny! I’m behind the times…I just discovered he did a parody of my favorite Offspring song: Pretty Fly for a Rabbi.

I agree with the kudos…Weird Al’s parodies are masterful.

Speaking of music masterminds, have you noticed that Al’s band (including John “Bermuda” Schwartz, of course) are absolutely fine musicians? Al’s music isn’t Al singing karaoke-style to the original song - it’s his band, playing every note (and in some cases, probably doing a better job than the originals :smiley: ).

My husband did a phone interview of Al way back when, when he (hubby) was an editor of his university newspaper. He has nothing but respect and admiration for the guy. One of Jim’s proudest moments was asking Al a question that he hadn’t heard before.

Off to Cafe Society.

I second what featherlou said about Al’s band. I’ve been to 11 Weird Al concerts (10 of them within the span of a year, November 1999 to November 2000–those were the good old days), and his band really is incredibly talented. It’s been the same people since the beginning (with the addition of Ruben Valtierra on keyboards in the early 90s–he’s still considered the new guy).

And they’ve been with him for ages. Schwartz was with Al during his years of obscurity, and except for Ruben Valtierra, they’ve all been around since he cut his first record.

That was awesome.

I’ve had a bit of a crush on the man for years. I suppose that’s pretty nerdy of me.

Many thanks for posting this. I’ve sent the link to every fellow nerd I know (and I know quite a few). Weird Al is a national treasure. No musical performer (other than possibly Stan Freberg and Tom Lehrer) has made me laugh so hard.

I’ve heard an advance copy of the “Straight Outta Lynwood” album, and I’m sad to report that it’s really not that good. “White & Nerdy” is great, and the 11 minute “Stuck in the Drive Thru” is fantastic, but that’s about it. Honestly, the only song I recognized in the set was “Canadian Idiot”, spoof of “American Idiot.” He did waaaaaay too many R&B spoofs, and I just don’t listen to that normally. Even Polkarama isn’t all that good.

SOL is still better than Polka Party, but that’s not saying much. However, all that being said, I WILL be buying the cd when it comes out since it also has a DVD with 6 videos and behind-the-scenes stuff. I love me some Weird Al, but this album was certainly not one of his best.

Absolutely! </nerdy> :wink:

I dunno, I really liked “Don’t Download This Song,” just for the contrarian lyrics.

I do think Al’s relying a bit too much on the geek-in-joke crowd lately, though – between “It’s All About the Pentiums” last time around, and “Don’t Download” and “White and Nerdy” this time…

There was this old lady on Conan who said you can put lube on bubble wrap and then have yourself a good time. I don’t know if that’s what Al means, but it seems like it from the video.

Was anybody else nerdy enough to pause it long enough to read the question on the Trivial Pursuit card? :smiley:

• In what city was the largest ball of twine built by one man?
  • What’s the deal with Lindsay Lohan. I mean, seriously?
  • F. D. R. - Was he faking it?
  • On what page does Harry Potter die in the next book?
  • What is the melting point of a gorilla’s head?
  • How many Wicket Men are there on a 43-Man (hard to read the word…Squamish, maybe?) team?

Regarding the last question there, this may be of interest: