Weird Coincidences: Doggone Strange Edition

Waiting at the vet’s yesterday with my cat Tikva. A woman comes in with a huge, shaggy dog.

“Oh, wow, she’s beautiful. What kind of dog is she?”
“A Bernese Mountain dog.”
“What’s her name?”
“Bailey.”

The woman has barely finished replying when another woman walks in with a huge, shaggy, near-identical dog. I do a double-take. Yes, it’s another Bernese Mountain dog.

Her name turns out to be Bailey.

The respective owners of Bailey and Bailey sit down next to each other and start talking. The conversation turns to “So where did you get your Bernese?” Because, see, I went down to Pennsylvania and there was this Amish dog breeder, and etcetera and etcetera…

The other woman listens to this story, and says, “I think I got my dog from the same place!” “It had [the thing] and [the thing] and [the other thing, right]?” “Yes! And there was [the thing]!”

I tune out most of their conversation, focused on my own anxiety. But I do hear Woman #1 say that her Bailey is here for a torn ACL.

“Tikva Stapes?” calls the vet. I get up to leave.

“Are you kidding me?” Woman #2 is sputtering as I walk out of the waiting room. “Mine tore her ACL, too!”

What a coincidence that two dogs from the same commercial puppy mill would have similar health problems! Baffling!

The Amish are notorious for puppy milling.

Hope Tikva is all right!

The Amish are farmers and view animals as livestock. Dogs are a market with a decent return on investment, so they breed them for sale. The same way they do cows, pigs or chickens. A lot of non-farmers don’t like this attitude because we have a tendency to conflate dogs with children-this is a conceit of ours that the Amish do not share. I would say that the conditions in them are largely far better than animal rights groups want you to believe (after all, a scared, unsocialized dog raised in filth has very little market value and there is a vested interest in keeping breeding dogs as healthy as possible to ensure lots of litters with healthy offspring) but far worse than the consumer driving to Amish country to pick out their Pug or the person at the pet store would ever expect (since the conditions needed to keep a dog healthy and socialized are not nearly as expansive or rigorous as one would think-a dog running on a treadmill has just as much muscle mass as a dog running through a field chasing butterflies.) Anyway, this is a complete digression, but yep, the long and short of it is that the Amish are very well-known for their puppy mills.

The last time I went to the vet, the pets waiting in the waiting area were named
Lola, Lulu, Li-Li, and Leeloo

I had to take my whole crew. Doxie, Dixie, Trixie… and Ted.

It’s a long story.

Well, I thought it was kinda weird that two random women in a waiting room on New Jersey both got their dogs from the same mill in Pennsylvania.
Though I guess I don’t know how easy it is to find a place selling Bernese, maybe there aren’t a lot in NJ.

Thank you. She’s going through a rough patch, but I just got a pill-pusher today, so hopefully pilling time won’t be as traumatic for both of us in the future.

As far as you could tell, were these all the same person’s pet? Or four random people? Because if it was the latter, that’s just crazy. :slight_smile:

4 different owners, only leeloo was mine. Multipass.

I don’t disagree with anything you say, I’m just intrigued at how we all tend to forgive/accept the Amish for behavior that we would be up in arms about should their “English” neighbors be doing the exact same thing for the same reasons.