Weird... McMansion with carport

We live in a nice established neighborhood full of 70s ranch houses and mature trees. Our neighborhood connects to a new development full of McMansions and no trees. It’s convenient to walk there.

One of the McMansions has what I thought was a five car garage, except that today I finally realize that one of them isn’t really a garage bay, but a permanent carport built into the house. It is open at both ends: to the driveway on one side, and to a sidewalk that goes to the front door on the other. The inside has vinyl siding and there is no door to the inside of the house (I can see because it has a lot of windows). There isn’t even a covered entry to the house–that sidewalk that goes to the front door is exposed to the elements.

I think it’s really weird. Aside from making a great playhouse for kids in nice weather, there’s not much advantage to it. In the rain, you still get wet getting between the car and the house. It would protect a car from hail or a heavy snowfall, I guess. Why the heck not put a door on it, and a way to get into the garage next to it, though?

I confused. Anyone bored enough to comment?

Hmm, I think this is pretty common. Granted, most of my experience with McMansion-gazing is beach rentals in NC’s Outer Banks, but a lot of them had very large carports. The walled kind like I think you are describing. There are a lot of hurricanes out there, so I figure it’s worthwhile to have a covered up area for your cars lest they get buckets of rain and possibly sand dumped on them. The designs of the houses near you might have been ported from an area with more extreme weather conditions.

Maybe the neighborhood HOA rules/local zoning rules prevents the carport from being enclosed garage space?

The house itself has four regular enclosed garage bays (built as two double garages). Every single house in the neighborhood has at least a three-car garage, though there are no other five-car garages. I find it hard to believe that anything would prohibit a regular five-car garage in this neighborhood, where everyone has a lawyer foyer etc.

For reference, we live in the midwest. We get very cold, snowy winters and some nasty storms in the spring. I’ve never seen anything like this before, though.

WAG, but maybe for a boat? Something they could pull through would make more sense, though, and I didn’t get that impression from your description.

Just having a roof over the car means you don’t have to scrap ice in the mornings. I’m not sure why they apparently picked that over a full garage stall, though. Is it taller than the others (for an RV or boat)?

Is in use everyday? It may be intended for guest parking.

I’ve given up trying to work out what the owners of McMansions were thinking when they decided, “Hey Honey, this massively big house should be just perfect for us.” In Sydney, where I live, they are built within a metre of the fence on both sides and have no eaves to help keep the sun out in summer. As for a verandah? No way - that could be yet another rumpus room instead.

One McMansion around the corner from me has a double garage which should be enough except that they own two four wheel drives which are too tall to fit under the roll-a-door. :smack:

That’s what I was thinking - covered parking for guests, but without a garage door they’d need a key or remote to open.

Yeah, bet that’s it!

Yeah, it was my first guess too. But if that’s what it’s for, it’s stupid, because there is no sheltered way to enter the house at all. It seems like if you’re thoughty enough to provide covered parking for guests, you should be thoughty enough to provide sheltered ingress to the house.

It has the same size openings as a one-car garage and you can’t pull through it, so it doesn’t seem like boat storage.

Catch a breeze while you wax your Beemer in the shade.

If it’s for guest, you don’t want to make them too comfortable.

Get with the McFancy here… It may be intended as a porte cochere.

But usually, those are attached to the side of the house, so you could hop off the carriage and enter the house while sheltered.

Zoning/Tax reasons?
Not being a full garage doesn’t add (as much) to house value
Full garage may have required a zoning exemption ie. insufficient distance to edge of property line