Weird mouth pain help

Hi I’ve been having very sharp mouth pain. It pulsates and feels like it’s coming from behind my toung maybe? It only happens when I suck on hard sour candy. I think it has something to do with the salivary glands

Salivary gland is a good thought, especially if the pain is one sided. Sour candies do promote salivation, and could cause pressure to build up behind a duct obstruction.

An ulcer in the mouth could become more painful with sour (acidic) foods.

Salivary duct obstructions and mouth/tongue ulcers can both be either benign or malignant. If the symptoms persist (longer than you might expect a cold sore to last), I suggest you make an appointment to check this out, preferably with an ENT doctor, if you don’t have to go through primary care docs first.

Moderator Action

Welcome to the Straight Dope Message Board, Zachherbst. Questions about medical issues and advice belong in the In My Humble Opinion forum. It’s no big deal. I will move the thread there for you.

Also, please note that any advice you receive here is just the opinions of a bunch of random people from the internet. If you want real medical advice, your best bet is to seek out a qualified medical professional.

Moving thread from General Questions to In My Humble Opinion (IMHO).

Patient: “Doctor, it hurts when I do this!”

Doctor: “Don’t do that!”