Weird showbiz conspiracies/theories

I figure TV and movies are full of odd situations and people as is, so logically strange stories would grow like weeds. Feel free to report or discuss any that you’ve heard or suspected. Proof is obviously not required and it’s all for fun.

For example–the Royal Family “astroturfed” Suits either to buff up Megan Markle’s status or in order to make the show more popular after she left to hurt her.

There was the recent right wing conspiracy theory around Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce. I think how it went was that the Democratic Party was going to rig the Super Bowl so that the Kansas City Chiefs won, and then Taylor and Travis were going to appear on TV at some point and declare their wholehearted support and endorsement of President Biden.

Mission accomplished on the first part. Very not cool of Taylor and Travis to not follow through with their part of the bargain after the Democratic party successfully rigged the game.

My nephew claims there wasn’t a Spider-Man 3 with Andrew Garfield because he was sick the day he was supposed to meet with the president of Sony and the president was insulted. Garfield claims that the script was a pile of trash, which is probably the real reason.

Katy Perry is JonBenet Ramsey

This conspiracy theory suggests that pop star Katy Perry is actually JonBenet Ramsey, a child beauty queen who was murdered in 1996. Some believe that JonBenet’s parents faked her death and that she then went on to live her life as Katy Perry.

There is the odd theory that Paul McCartney died in 1966 and has been portrayed by a look a like for the last five-plus decades.

Paul is dead - Wikipedia

I remember one of my odder friends back in the 80s who had a cassette tape that outlined the idea. I guess that was one way CTs spread back before the Internet - through copies of cassette tapes.

Hollywood is controlled by the
Jews
Catholics
Mormons
Scientologists
Russian Communists
Chinese Communists

It’s not very well known outside of Deadhead circles, but one of my favorites is the story that the Grateful Dead never played their legendary show at Cornell University on 5/8/77 but, rather, that recordings of the show were fabricated by the CIA as part of a mind-control experiment.

I’m not sure that anyone actually takes the story seriously, but I find it amusing.

One commentator drily said, “A dead person would not have filed suit to dissolve the Beatles.”

National Lampoon’s LEMMINGS was a wonderous parody of Woodstock. The guy who did all the stage announcements (John Belushi) was introducing the Dead: (a band of dead musicians, paraphrased) “…and on guitar, Jimi Hendrix; on keyboards, Harry S Truman. And on bass… Paul McCartney!”

Because by then, we all KNEW that Paul “blew his mind out in a car” and had become The Walrus, the Viking symbol of death, and that’s why he was barefoot on the back of Abbey Road because he was the corpse following The Sun King and Ringo the undertaker, oh, and the VW bug behind him had the license plate 28IF because he’d be 28, IF he’d lived…

The Paul is dead an the Beatles left clues on purpose was the subject of an issue of Bat Man. The Paul character was Saul Cartwright. In the end we learn SPOILER- It’s the other 3 who are dead and have been replaced by lookalikes. I cannot locate any issues reliably since I moved, but I swear it happened.

what?

“Paul is dead” is pretty silly, but “Avril Lavigne is dead and replaced by a clone” is even sillier.

If Paul died in 1966, the guy they got to replace him was arguably the better songwriter. He’s been gong for nearly 60 years with only a few clunkers. Yes, even Silly Love Songs is good. :slight_smile:

And if you ran that one song backwards just right it said “I buried Paul.”

Back in the days when 9/11 truthers and global pedophile rings were left-wing conspiracy theories, I recall people in my circle of AOL friends who were utterly convinced that Jeff Gannon, the “journalist” that was planted in the White House press pool in 2005 to pitch softball questions to Dubya, was in fact a specific missing kid from the '80s who had never been found, and that in fact he’d been trafficked around the Republican elite for 20 years and ultimately brainwashed to believe he was a completely different person. The story went on to claim that Gannon and Dubya were having a secret gay affair, because there were days when he signed in at the White House gate but neglected to sign out, which, to the conspiracists, could ONLY have meant he was spending the night in the Lincoln Bedroom plowing Dubya’s brains out (Dubya was apparently a power bottom in this narrative).

Personally, the wackiest one I used to believe was that Tom Cruise’s kid with Katie Holmes was secretly adopted, but as she’s grown the resemblance to her parents is undeniable.

They want people who know what they’re doing but don’t care. Just a thought.

Marisa Tomei only won the Best Supporting Actress Oscar for My Cousin Vinny because the presenter, Jack Palance, was drunk and misread the card.

I’d always have “Extra Credit” trick questions on my finals. One was "What year did Paul McCartney write Silly Love Songs"?
Answer: 1963-2024

ps: The Substitute Paul was the winner of a Paul Look-Alike contest from Edinburgh, Billy Campbell (and/or “Billy Shears”).

I read one pre-internet article that claimed that master bass players could tell that the “New Paul” was right-handed, but trying to play the bass left-handed.

Despite what you may have heard (as it were), the lyrics to “Louie Louie” are not “dirty”:

The reason why the film print for Alien Vs Predator Requiem is so dark and impossible to see clearly isn’t bad filmmaking, rather during the mastering process the prints got messed up and severely darkened and instead of paying to remaster them since FOX knew the film was going to be a bomb they just sent the damaged prints to theaters.