Weird/Unusual Ice Cream flavors

I make ginger-pistachio ice cream that’s pretty good. There was a place in Chicago in the eighties that made some spectacular sweet potato ice cream. My grandfather likes black walnut ice cream, which is the only ice cream I’ve ever tasted that I had to spit out. He did get me liking tomato jam though.

I love green tea ice cream when I’ve had it at Japanese restaurants. Tried to make it at home, but it had too much vanilla.

Damn. My idea of weird is peanut butter ice cream. Which is good, by the way.

At Blackbird, 619 W. Randolph in Chicago, you can find:

http://www.chicagoreader.com/rrr/grapevine/2005/08.html

In Boston we used to get Neapolitan ice cream which was alternating “stripes” of coffee, vanilla, and orange sherbert. It was delicious.

Anyone ever had Durian-flavored ice cream?

(I haven’t–my only durian experience was not all that pleasant…)

For Mother’s Day we discovered Rosewater Gelato. Not something in the dairy case at Kroger, which is why I tried it. Excellent but I couldn’t figure out the rosewater part. It didn’t taste like perfume at all!

I’ve had that before. YUM! :smiley:

I had the vanilla garlic ice cream version also (surprise, surprise) at a garlic festival. I agree, it wasn’t bad. Don’t know if I would exactly want to have it on my apple pie, but…

Let’s see, unuual:
I’ve had lavender, and green tea, and rooibos (I’m not sure what this would be in US -“red bush tea”?), and aloe flavours.

Aloe is very bitter.

Oh, and chili-chocolate flavour - it was exactly like a party in my mouth…

I’ve yet to try it, but I understand Brown Bread ice cream is really good; the bread is broken into small crumbs, mixed with sugar and toasted, then mixed in with a vanilla cream base.

While on a business trip to Yakusuka, Japan a long time ago, we would stop at an ice cream store on the way home from work every day. On our last day there, I finally worked up the courage to try the soft-serve spinach ice cream. Didn’t taste like spinach, didn’t really taste like ice cream. Just tasted bad. But at least I tried it…

Yep, came in here to mention it. My girlfriend’s college does it sometimes as part of hall dinner, and it is very nice. Not sure exactly how they make it but my guess lines up with your description.

I’m not sure how to describe it… it’s sort of, well, sweet, but bread-flavoured… no, I got nothin’.

Well, the taste varies from person to person.

I remember as a kid trying Tiger Strip ice cream which was a mix of black licorice and orange flavoured ice creams.

Black sesame seed ice cream. Creamy, not too sweet, served with black sesame seed sticks and orange slices. I’ve only had it at O’Mei in Santa Cruz, CA. Now I want some pipa tofu with lichees to go with it. Mmmm.

Oh yeah, there’s an Afghani restaurant in Seattle that has a Rosewater-Pistachio ice cream that’s really nice.

Seattle Sorbets are delicious and different, at least the two flavors I’ve tried: Blackberry Cabernet and Blueberry Zinfandel.

Here in beautiful Boulder, we have a local ice cream maker, Glacier Ice Cream, that has some really great flavors. I’d rate most of them as not-that-unusual, but extremely high quality. At one time they had Port-Wine-Chocolate-Chip and Honey-Mead flavors that were devastatingly good, but no longer (they may have run afoul of liquor laws on those). In their store that is located right next the University of Colorado campus, they have some flavors that I haven’t seen in their other locations, the two most interesting of which are Red Bull and Twinkie. I’m pretty sure those are for college students with the “munchies,” a demographic of which I am most certainly no longer a part.

Boulder Ice Cream (another local outfit) makes Mexican Chocolate (chocolate with cinnamon) that is pretty darn good and not that common.

Rick

I really like the red bean ice cream you can get at sushi places. Unusual to me, not an unusual flavoring for the Japanese. I keep hoping some company will make a commercial red bean ice cream flavor but I haven’t’ found one yet. Maybe at the Asian markets.

There’s a place here in Toronto that has blueberry lavender, rosewater vanilla, and chocolate-cayenne-cinnamon. They’re all awesome. Another really good place is famous for their roasted marshmallow ice cream, and they sometimes have beer flavoured ice cream, too.

Jeni’s Ice Cream has some unusual flavors. I’ve tried many of them. They’ve all been wonderful.

There’s also a place in town called Darlene’s ice cream. They have flavors like Chai Tea (an ice cream with your standard chai masala), chocolate guiness (which is suprisingly good), Hot Chocolate (a chocolate with mint and hot pepper–my favorite Darlene’s ice cream so far), and lots of others.

I like adding Chinese 5 Spice to a rich vanilla ice cream and mixing it all together. That sounds weird, but it’s great. Vanilla ice cream with pomegranate syrup (pomegranate juice reduced slowly with sugar and maybe a little honey towards the end) is also delicious.