Weird/Unusual Ice Cream flavors

OOhh where? Where? I’m in Toronto.

I had beer flavored but only cuz I poured beer into my vanilla ice cream.

I 've had Purple Yam Ice cream, which was actually called “Ube” in the packaging and can be found in Filipino stores. Not thrilling, but not too bad either. I was supposed to put custard on top, sez the sales lady, so I did. :slight_smile: That makes it so much better.

The other day I tried White Asparagus ice cream. It was…uh…very true to its identity.

A store near me, Max and Mina’s in Kew Gardens Hills (Queens), New York, has very odd flavors, including lox and herring. And garlic, which seems to be less unusual now that I read this thread. They advertise that they’ll create new flavors to order.

I’ve never had the inclination to try any of the odd flavors.

Yeah, it was okay. Not nearly as bad as the fruit (I was led to believe).

OTOH, I ~loved~ Baskin Robbins’ Black Licorice ice cream when I was a kid. So what do I know?

Or you could just buy an authentic grenadine…

I just tried Avocado and Coconut Milk with jujubes (?) - those fruit jelly thingies - today. Sadly, disappointed. The ice cream itself had an ok though slightly confused flavor but it left a strange bitter aftertaste.

I’ve also located a place where to get Black Licorice, Green Tea and Jackfruit.

I had it at a Thai place. Saw it on the menu and just had to order it. Being familiar with the nasty taste of durian, I had to know what the ice cream was like. The waiter thought I was crazy for ordering it. I guess it was there just for the occasional Thai native who just came in from the airport.

It’s nasty. But surprisingly, it didn’t taste to me like the fresh durian. It tasted exactly like the mosquito-killing pesticide that they sprayed in a fog from a pickup truck driving slowly through our neighborhood when I was a kid.

I did not finish the bowl.

When I was in college in Ann Arbor, the local ice cream shop, which I think was part of a small regional chain, would have pickle ice cream once a year in connectiion with a pickle festival. It was “commerically” available but not nationally. I don’t know if they still do it. I can’t remember the name of the place, and don’t kow if it’s still there.

I have not had violet ice cream, mentioned above, but I’ve had violet candies, which are not too difficult to find and are pretty good.

Rosewater ice cream was mentioned a couple of times. Rosewater is used frequently in Middle Eastern pastries, and once I had rosewater ice cream at a Persian restaurant. It’s good. I don’t know where you’d go to buy a quart, though.

Were these flavors you could buy in a Cape Town store? I never came across a place with hugely unusual ice cream flavors. Maybe I wasn’t adventurous enough.

I’ll never get over how difficult it is to get lemon ice cream in the USA. It’s the most popular flavor both in Italy and Spain (haven’t had a chance to poll the French).

*BlackHeart, Greg’s has roasted marshmallow, and it’s in the Jewish Cultural Centre at Spadina and Bloor. It’s really good. They also have different types of beer ice cream, but it’s all handmade and the menu rotates.

The blueberry lavender et al are from Kensington Organic Ice Crema, a tiny little place in Kensington Market. It’s on… bother, it’s right next to a cheese shop, on the west side of… Augusta? No, the street one east of Augusta that has all the vintage clothing stores. They sell through Whole Foods, too. Their ice cream is amazing.

Ed’s Real Scoop, in my area, is also awesome. So is La Paloma Gelateria at St. Clair and Landsdowne.

I’ll stop now.

*BlackHeart, Greg’s has roasted marshmallow, and it’s in the Jewish Cultural Centre at Spadina and Bloor. It’s really good. They also have different types of beer ice cream, but it’s all handmade and the menu rotates.

The blueberry lavender et al are from Kensington Organic Ice Crema, a tiny little place in Kensington Market. It’s on… bother, it’s right next to a cheese shop, on the west side of… Augusta? No, the street one east of Augusta that has all the vintage clothing stores. They sell through Whole Foods, too. Their ice cream is amazing.

Ed’s Real Scoop, in my area, is also awesome. So is La Paloma Gelateria at St. Clair and Landsdowne.

I’ll stop now.

A local brew house used to offer a brewery dinner, with a stout flavored ice cream as a palate cleanser. Pretty darn good, but I’d usually had three beers by then.

Emeril has a recipe for tangerine-basil ice cream that sounds terrific. I have a Lello Gelato Pro ice cream maker, and I may try to make it this year.

Bless you :smiley:
I will be going to Kensington Market this weekend hopefully. Joy! Joy!

I had the same thought. Especially since in North America we have lemon everything even furniture polish.

Green mouse ice cream was the worst. I didn’t like that at all.

:eek:

Surely, you jest.

Or maybe misspelled the word “mousse”?

If you’re going to Kensington, maybe you can swing by Greg’s as well. Two fabulous ice cream places in one day!

I highly, highly recommend getting to La Paloma sometime. Their lemon, English trile, chocolate ferrero rocher, and… oh, hell, all their gelato is damn fine.

I can’t find a cite, but on History Channel’s Presidents series I distinctly recall them stating that Dolly Madison’s favorite flavor of ice cream was oyster.

Sandman reference. :cool:

A local mexican ice cream shop near where I used to work had some unusual ice cream flavors, many of which have been mentioned. They had corn and avacado, which I never got to try, but the cool thing I noticed is that they had a shaker of chili powder on the counter for people to spice up their ice cream if they wanted. They also made popsicles with chili powder in them, and I ate a lot of those. Mango con chili and tamarind con chili were delicious. It’s a really weird sensation for something to taste sweet and cold when you first lick it and then for it to turn hot and spicy. :eek: :smiley: