Weirdly collectable

Today a Google Image search led me to stumbling on a nice web site dedicated to the surprisingly large variety of “creature” figurine toys that have been sold over the past few decades. (One of the most interesting sets I’ve found on the site so far is this one, for the look into Russian folklore.)

The site made me think of an interest of my own. Back in the 80s there was a certain brand of small monster figurines that I liked as a kid, and every time I was in K-Mart I would look through the stock looking for a specific figure from the set, a character that was nothing but a hand with a face on one of the fingers. Then I forgot about them, until a time around 10 or 12 years ago I came across one of the figures from the series poking partway from the ground in my yard, where it had been buried for a couple of decades. I got to thinking about the figures again and, not remembering the name of the product line, I described them on a toy related Usenet newsgroup and somebody was able to identify it. Googling around, I discovered that I wasn’t the only one who remembered collecting M.U.S.C.L.E (as they were known) and wasn’t alone in having my favorite be the claw. They were collectible when I first rediscovered them 10 or 12 years ago, and they seem to actually be more collectible (with more elaborate fan sites and higher prices) today than they were then. Back when I first rediscovered them 10 or 12 years ago, I spent a while watching Ebay and buying examples of the claw when they showed up, and ended up with 7 of the 8 available colors before being satisfied (and fortunately never became obsessed enough to pursue the white whale of the purple claw.)

So that’s a thing–in a corner of the internet there are collectors who investigate the production history, colors, and availability of a set of figurines that most of you significantly older or younger than me have probably never heard of. Anyone have any other favorite examples of things most people have probably never heard of but which have a dedicated audience of collectors?

Not The Craw, THE CRAW!

I understand Major Matt Mason still has a following; I have an old toy of that set–in the original box–that I’d like to sell (hint, hint).

I remember when they brought the muscle guys back in the 80s because pro wrestling being insanely popular they even made an nes game about them …

Outer Space Men–I owned Colossus Rex. from Jupiter, and the Tritons, from Neptune.

So spring for a membership and list it on the Marketplace.

An outstanding idea! Gotta be better than eBay. Thnx, kdad!

I made a LOT of money selling old Hot Wheels from the late 60’s (Redlines)

Now I collect old Seiko watches from the 60’s and 70s. Harder to find and the competition can be fierce but you can still collect a decent bit without being wealthy.