Well, another semester down the drain.

A few months ago I was looking at my work schedule for this fall and I realized something incredible: I will have some time where I’m not doing anything at work.

So I take my newfound knowledge to my supervisors and ask them for permission to take classes, three to be exact, on Tuesday and Thursday night.

They said ‘yes.’

I was stoked.

I paid for the classes, bought my books (books are friggin expensive), got new pens and such*.
Yesterday, Monday, my bosses call me into their office to tell me the news.

[Dramatized for comedic effect]
Bosses: Hey Airman Mcnally, I have a question for you.

Me (all sexy like, 'cuz I am like, insanely cute in my uniform):…?

Bosses: Knock, knock

Me (still being adorable): Who’s there?

Bosses: Not you bitch, 'cuz your ass is going to Iraq.

Me: ::emotear:: (but still sexy)

Ok, it didn’t really happen that way, but I almost wish it did because it makes the story much more interesting.

But really, that’s not a big deal. I’ve already been there, I know what to expect. Whatever. It suck but I’m not really surprised. Another missed Christmas and all that good stuff. But hey, I could really use the money.

I got to my scheduled class today and speak with the teacher. I tell her my situation. She tries to be helpful but because of the syllabus requirements chances are there’s no way I can get above a “C.” Possibly a “B-.” I’m probably going to drop that class because to me, that is unacceptable.

I then go to my history teacher with my problem and see if we can work something out.

“I just found out yesterday that I will be deploying soon. Is there any way I can finish out the semester through correspondance? I will have access to the internet so I can e-mail you papers. If there’s a test I can have an officer proctor it. If you need to mail me something I will pay for the shipping. I’m willing to do whatever it takes to make it work.”

“No.”

Well, I guess that’s that then.

I’m not done yet though. I’m trying to get a hold of my psychology teacher to work something out. I don’t think that’ll work though. So I’m talking with a councilor tomorrow to see about getting me into an online course. And if that doesn’t work, see about getting me my full refund for dropping the classes. I’m hoping for the former, but if not, then it doesn’t happen.

I’m not really mad or anything. Just kinda sucks. Oh well, this time next year I’ll be separated and a student full time.

And hopefully drunk somewhere with a hot blond girl who has no idea what my name is.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot that I have an aunt on this board, so yeah. Don’t tell Nana I’m deploying yet. I have no idea when I’m going to tell her.

*The highlight of any school year is the new school supplies. I love purchasing different types of pens and pencils. The notebook, on the other hand, is a very important purchase. You cannot just choose one willy nilly. You have to find just the right one.

That royally sucks ass. How could they allow you to take classes and then send you to Iraq again? Gah, I’m pissed just reading about it.

As an aside, I dont know if I’m convinced about this ‘super-cute’ uniform. Got a cite? :wink:

Good luck RandMcnally. Come back safe!

Rand, try going through Thomas Edison State College. They’re cheap, do it all correspondence, and have special programs for the armed forces.

Would it be too late to start classes with them?

I’m surprised that there isn’t some arrangement that can be made… even simply suspending your enrollment in the class until you return, to complete it in the next available semester. Is it really up to individual profs, or does the school itself have a policy for this type of situation? Contact the Student Affairs office and ask around… there might be something they can do for you.

What, no love for brunettes? ~pouts~

Possibly for right now, but I believe new semesters start every month. www.tesc.edu

Tell em you’re military, and they bend over backwards to work with you. As we say round these parts: They’re a friend of the soldier.

Don’t get me wrong, brunettes are amazing. I have never been, “You’re really pretty, but your hair’s not blond. I’m sorry, I can’t be seen with you.”

Oh, and redheads are awesome too.
Anywho, Update:

I went to the councilor this morning and told her my situation. What she did was transfer me from the in house class into an online course.

She went to the registrar to have that done, but the lady at the front desk said that she could do it, but I’d have to pay the full amount because the class has already started.

My councilor: *No bitch.

Then she went to the head honcho lady and she was perfectly fine with just doing a one for one switchover. All I had to do was pay the fee for the online class. I was ok with that.

And I also lucked out with I didn’t have to buy any extra books, because the online class was using the same as the in house one. Which is really fortunate because I’m an idiot and threw away my receipt.
*Once again, that wasn’t really said.

The school will likely give you a refund on the semester, especially if you’re using any part of the GI Bill. Just write a justification, request a leave of absence, and follow up on it. If they don’t and they fail you contest it.

You’re on pretty firm ground here. Deployments cannot be punished. Ask me how I know. Go ahead.

How do you know?

Sucker.

No, really, I was two weeks into the semester when my NCOIC called me, right in the middle of class. I step out to take the call, and Chief asks me if he caught me at a bad time. I can see the writing on the wall, so I simply ask when I’m leaving. He tells me one month.

I went back into the classroom to pick up my stuff, call my wife and told her, walked right over to the admin building and withdrew on the spot. Technically it was a leave of absence because I expressed my intent to come back, but the net effect was a three week vacation until it was time to go.

My university had no issues, gave me no crap, and wished me well. I didn’t have to deal with the teachers at all. It’s not their call. If they won’t work with you then write the semester off and get your money back.

Incidentally, don’t you hate it when professors act like they’re king shit and won’t work with you? That is so exasperating. How does that benefit anybody? Oh, yeah, what do they care? Tenured union members don’t even have to pretend to like you. But I digress.

Anyway, get your money back and be careful when you get over there.