Well fuck me backwards, I really have to Pit this site (balls & ass)

http://clecontactlenses.com/cgi-bin/shop.plx/SID=PUT_SID_HERE/page=468322.html

Trying to submit my reply, I kept getting an error message:

"Sorry! Your subject contains a forbidden word, ass"

WTF?!! The word “ass” was nowhere. Then I realised it was the word glASSes (it’s a CONTACT LENS site for fuck’s sake). So I changed that to “spectacles.”

Still no good.

"Sorry! Your subject contains a forbidden word, balls"

Omifuckinggod they won’t let me use the world eyeBALLS! On a FUCKING BLOODY CONTACT LENS SITE!!!

So I change it to corneas.

Has anyone ever seen anything so fucking bloody arse stupid as the decency filter such as this site uses?

I am going to let RIP to their webmaster right away.

Hmmm…what will you tell them? To go engage in rough spooning with their own fist?

Must be careful of the syntax.

That is ridiculous.

Good old censorship software - such a reliable and efficient tool, really.

There’s a place in the UK called Scunthorpe. Its residents used to have all manner of problems through such filters.

Heh, I play the computer game Dark Age of Camelot. It used to have a naughty language filter that was turned on and you couldn’t turn off; now it has it on by default and you can choose to turn it off. Before that option to turn it off was added, it was hard to order a bastard sword from a weaponsmith, as the request would come out something like “e$*Rq,W sword”. You couldn’t tell if people broadcasting were saying that they “just need a fucking sword!” out of frustration or “just need a bastard sword!” being particular about type. That bug got fixed not long after reporting it.

I really struggled with the “Scunthorpe” problem since I regularly frequent football message boards, and Scunthorpe Utd isn’t handily abbreviated to anything acceptable.

I remember on football 365 (when it first came out) Arsenal was a censored word.

Of course, there’s some good reasons for that.

AOL made the news a few years ago when they added some sort of censorship software. The Breast Cancer Help Group was briefly shut down. The woman who ran it was quoted, “we’re thinking of renaming it the Hooter Cancer Help Group to avoid this in the future.”

Haj

Beaver College (in the northeast somewhere I think) was seriously thinking of changing its name, both because of jokes and because many high school libraries couldn’t get to the site because of filtering software.

I would definitely give money to the Hooter Cancer Help Group

Beaver college is located in one of the counties next to Philadelphia (I can’t recall if it’s in Bucks or Montgomery). Several years ago they changed the name to Arcadia university. They cited internet search engines and filters as the reason.

I used to use a chatroom called scotland.com, and it installed censorship software, which did not like “snigger”, “pussycat” or, of course, “Scunthorpe”, the last one being a bit sad as one of our moderators lived there.

It’s all mad. Mad, I tell you!

:slight_smile:

My pre-emptive SMS message Siemens phone won’t let me refer to my cat as my pussy, either.

How very delicate-minded of a company with a name like “Siemens”. (OK, an extra “s” - but still, the sound of the name.) :slight_smile:

All very strange.

hee hee… the company I work for makes products for Siemens and I still giggle everytime someone asks me for the “Siemens file.”

And the day the salesperson came running in to the office…"Hey! I just got a HUGE order for SIEMENS! No one laughed, but I had to leave the room.

::sigh:: no one around here has a sense of humor. At least I have SDMB to share the comedy of Siemens.

It changed in July of last year. Its’ a very nice school and I almost decided to go there.

I’ve worked for Siemens for 12 years now, so I’ve got a lot of ribbing over the years.

A couple years ago I was a getting my hair cut, and the guy cutting it was a very out gay gentleman. He asks where I work, so I tell him “I work in a place called ‘Siemens’.”
“Oooh” he says, “that’s my specialty!
Cracked me up.

The company is actually over 150 years old, believe it or not. The name of course is actually very innocent; it was named after the man who created the company, Werner von Spunk McJizzum.