Well, I'm never gonna be able to face outdoors or tolerate or trust nature for awhile, maybe ever;

Well, I guess a mosquito could get a hankering for long pork.

I asked Mr. Wrekker he says any wildlife in the Arkansas woods is subjected to bot fly larva infections.
The feral pig population is blamed for the uptick in deer and any smaller mammal having larva in them, around here.

And he expects me to say yes to eating wild game. He’s cray cray.

He also told me he had 2 beagles with botfly a few years ago.

Really, the heck you say. Seems I need this info as it occurs.

(disclaimer: he ain’t no expert of any kind, just wasted about half his life in the woods)

I had a biology professor that told a story about giving a talk at a conference and there was a commotion in the audience. It got so disruptive he had to stop the talk and ask what was going on, “Steve’s botfly is emerging!” So they all gathered around to watch before finishing the talk.

Woman! Did you not read what I wrote??

I even put a green smilie on it.

Oh, look. Here’s a Wet Paint sign.

But, but I cannot help googling it.
Alas, it’s a shame I must endure.

I had an entomology class that devolved into botfly chat for a while- never talk to entomologists if you’re squeamish. The bit about the entomologist friend of the lecturer whose wife made him get rid of his … new pet… because the noise of it chewing was keeping her awake at night was probably the best bit. For those with the right wrong sense of humour anyway.

Just whatever you do, don’t go looking on YouTube.

Aaaaccckkk!

Don’t look up jiggers on Youtube, especially if you’re trypanophobic. Don’t do it. Don’t.

Hairworms.

Yeah, Shawn is cool. I wonder sometimes why his barn is so mouse/rat infested.

He recently tested a cool Delete-R Robot Mousetrap that kills the mouse, then goes through a cycle where it dumps the mouse corpse onto a tray, then resets itself. He demos it with a toy mouse.

It sells for $175. Shawn bought two of them and a mousetrap collector (they exist) bought one, selling out the inventors stock.

My friends new bump behind her ear is indeed a botfly larva.
This is substantially more dangerous her doctor said.
She’s gonna to surgery tomorrow.
Tonight she’s supposed to keep a thick layer of Vaseline on it all night. It seems it cuts off their oxygen and they start backing out.

I’m just mortified for her.

Surgery successful and she’s okay? Enquiring minds want to be sure. That is a nasty, nasty place for those nasty larvae.

She’s ok. The doctor found 2 larva in her head.

She’ll go home tomorrow.

Hope she’s emotionally tougher than I am. I’d need therapy after something like this.

Are you sure? They don’t surgically remove dead heartworms after the treatment poisons them and they seem like they’d be a lot more problematic.

She’s a tough cookie.
She’s laughed and laughed.

She told me her mother predicted she’d die because of her fast living. she’s kinda slutty

She thinks she’s at the end of the whole ordeal.
I guess time will tell.

At least that’s likely not how she got botflies. :wink:

This reminds me of a B. Kliban cartoon of someone who broke their head by falling off a toilet.

Cannot find it on the internet to save … someone’s life.

You can break lots of things falling off the toity. Trust me.

You Dis-Arm me with your logic!

Talked to my wormy friend. She goes home today.
She’s upset they shaved a portion of her hair.

They told her any bump needs to be looked for 6weeks or so. If the larva is hiding and grows to it’s maximum size it will leave a large hole and be painful.

God, I cannot imagine how that would be.