Well, it probably won't shut up creationists... [self-replicating RNA enzyme systems]

…but it goes a long way towards a really elementary and convincing argument regarding the origins of life: For the first time, indefinitely self-replicating RNA enzyme systems have been created in the lab.

And what’s even more, they evolve:

Who’s for shipping the mix to some distant planet for some hot, steamy, panspermic action? :smiley:

Sure, who doesn’t love panspermic action? Shame it’s so much trouble to clean up after.

What?

Seriously, though, this is cool. We’re on the trail of abiogenesis!

Super cool. It’s about time we found this out. :slight_smile:

Awesome!

Guess I’m gonna be reading about this for the next 3-4 hours instead of going to bed…

Why do you hate God? :slight_smile:

Right now, humans are further along than we’ve ever been before.

Right now, humans know more than we’ve ever known before.

Right now, humans are able to do more than we’ve ever been able to do before.

Pretty cool, isn’t it?

But WHO CREATED THE LAB in all it’s Irreducible Complexity? Huh Huh? :dubious:

Finally, we can all be GODS!

Actually, let that stuff stew in a lab for a couple million years, then check in after and see what kind of critters come out.

Sounds like a pretty good argument for intelligent design.

After all, the RNA didn’t put itself in the petri dish. :wink:

Eh. Most Christians I know accept evolution perfectly well - myself included. So maybe this will just push some fundamentalists toward Catholicism. :wink:

That’s what I was going to ask.

And cmyk says-

raises glass & says Ernest Thesiger style To a new world of Gods and Monsters!

Then think about how cool it’ll be in fifty years.

Nope, not a bit. When you can breath life into dust get back to us.

2000 years too late:

Ha ha, yes, let’s hold up the Bible against the achievements of modern science. That comparison should be good for a laugh or two.

(Does that make me one of the new asshole atheists that people are complaining about these days?)

OK, lets start with Sodom and Gomorrah at about 4000 BC vs Nagasaki and Hiroshima in 1945 AD.

Nope, just a person following a different god.

Nope, just one fewer. Which is about right.

This is awesome.

This is actually the fundie Christian belief, that God exists outside of Spacetime and created the entire observable Universe in six days, 6012 years ago, solely for Earth’s benefit. Which, when you consider all those billions of galactic superclusters, each comprised of wasted galaxies filled with dead, empty solar systems serving no useful function, can only lead to one conclusion…God works for the government!

Yeah, all it took was carefully controlled laboratory conditions set up by someone who knew what the end result was meant to look like. Not quite a monkey-and-typewriter undertaking.

Incidentally, I thought that evolution and abiogenesis were meant to be distinct topics?

Both Jesus and cmyk have stated that ‘men are gods’, so in that respect with man as the ultimate authority as a general doctrine of atheism, atheism is one of the most, if not the most polytheistic religion in the world today.