Welsh looks funny

Yn unol ag Adran 1 o Ddeddf Troseddwyr Traffig Ffyrdd 1988, yr wyf drwy hyn yn hysbysu y bwriedir dwyn achos yn erbyn gyrrwr cerbyd A123 ABC.

Doesn’t that look like someone repeatedly dropped the keyboard, keys facing down? I’m finding it really amusing. What does it mean?

“In accordance with Section 1 of the Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988, I hereby give you notice that it is intended to take proceedings against the driver of motor vehicle A123 ABC.”

With A123 ABC replaced with my car’s registration. Yup, that’s right… the other day I was caught by a camera van speeding in Wales. Busted.

Please note, I’m not trying to mock the language, customs and people of Wales. I was there for a weekend with the lads and really enjoyed it. I’m just trying to find the bright side of this letter.

I’d start a pit rant about how the Police could spend more time chasing real criminals and less time fining me for getting home in good time, but I know that I was caught bang to rights.

Is there a Welsh version of Scrabble™ with different letter scores (and a different distribution of letters)?

I’ve always thought that Welsh sounds like words that could have been in English, but were passed over for some reason in the Great Word Draft. Maybe they’re contientious objector words. I dunno. But wht I do know is this: a Welsh typesetter had best have a shitload of ys.

Obligatory linky poo to When you are in love the whole world is welsh.

The letter y is a vowel in Welsh, phonetically a short “u”. To translate that sentence into phonetic English would roughly be:

Un enol ag Adran een o Deth Trosethoyr Traffig Feerth (don’t know years!), ur oiv dree hun un husbusee uh booredir doin achos un erbun guroir cerbuth A123 ABC.

Welsh is my wife’s first language - I don’t speak it myself.

It’s your wife’s first language? I didn’t realise anyone spoke it as a first language. I only know that “Araf” means “slow” when painted on a road surface.

Perhaps I should’ve worked that out sooner.

Welsh was my father’s first language, as was it for many of his cousins (of which he had more than 100 as a teenager). It was the usual language in my paternal grandparents’ home.

My Pop spoke a smattering of Welsh; his grand-dad was from Llangollen (sp?). Thus, I got named what no American child should ever ever ever ever ever be named:

Dafydd.

It’s simply the most butcherable name I know. In school, whenever we had a Temp, I’d wait for the confused gap after Billy Jones’ name was read, and then I’d shout out, “Here!” without waiting for the ineveitable “Dah … Duh … Dededeh …”

I’m sorry: “Temp” should read “Sub”; I think I’m spending too much time in the office …

It looks fairly easy to pronounce, to me at least. I’d think that all you’d get is some unsure people calling you “David”. What’s the correct pronunciation, and the most common mangled one(s)?

“Daffydehdeh” is a popular one; “Daffydid” is pretty common, too. Add to that a lifetime of “Daffy Ducks,” “Daffodils,” and “Laffy Daffy” (and I must admit, I’m kind of partial to that one), and you get a lad wishing he was called “Bob.”
The contraction for Dafydd is Dai, as Dave is to David. Got stopped getting called that REALLY quickly when Lady/Princess Di came on the scene.

Generally, DAV-ith sounds about right, but the front D should be very hard (almost a “T”), while the v-sound is softer. Far too many people I have pronounced it for assume that I have a lisp, and my name is DAV-is and I’m mispronouncing it. Seriously. Drives me friggin’ nuts.

If you’ve ever heard the nursery rhyme, “Taffy was a Welshman, Taffy was a thief,” Taffy = Dafydd, much in the same way as Paddy = Patrick.

Which (IIRC) is pronounced “Davuth”…and “Taffy” is a correct Welsh nickname. :wink:

Sorry, Daithi, I see you beat me to it. Durned hampsters! :smiley:

I don’t know where anyone could get “Daffydehdeh”. “Tayvith” sounds difficult but cool. Does the V sound closer to F or to W?

Also: Take comfort in the fact that you aren’t the only person in this universe whose name gets mangled. I’ve more or less resigned myself to the fact that no-one is ever going to pronounce my surname right, not even my own relatives. It’s been a lot more mangled than yours - for illustrative purposes, imagine that someone pronounced your first name “Dafodsky”.

It gets a sound between a V and an F - the lips are held slightly more loosely than with a full, hard V. It’s subtle, and barely worth the effort. :stuck_out_tongue:

Off topic a tad, Mrs Lacha’s first name is Naomi – nay-O-mee – and when she introduces herself to people, she’ll pronounce it thusly. 70% of the time, they’ll say, “nye-O-mee, nice to meet you!” WTF?

That almost looks like an English language substitution cipher to me (aka cryptogram).

How about this urban legend Fromage à Trois the giuy who paid his poll tax by sending daily cheques written in Welsh - seems it cost more to get them translated and themoney paid than they were worth :stuck_out_tongue:

Not only are there mother tongue speakers of Welsh but the number of people choosing to learn Welsh is growing. To work in the civil service in Wales you really need to know the language (not sure if it is actually one of the recruitment criteria) and Welsh medium schools get consistently better results than their English speaking equivalents.

Daithi Lacha - I feel for you, like Shakespeare I’ve seen my name written at least 15 different ways - and of all the countries I’ve lived the nationality who has the most trouble pronouncing it ? The English :smack:

As SentientMeat said ‘y’ is a vowel; to further complicate things ‘w’ can also act as a vowel - I’m sure you could all pronounce the geographical term ‘cwm’.

(BTW Dad is a mother tongue speaker, but he basically lost the last of his family 20 or so years ago & I was brought up in England. Mind you I’m learning Welsh here in Paris and last Friday there were 10 of us at a Welsh speaking evening.)

Looking back on it, it does… it reminds me of some PuzzleDonkey puzzles I’ve done. I get the feeling that if I were to look at it in the mirror it would make more sense to me, too.

I don’t know if you guys get the comedy series Little Britain over there, but there’s a character who’s name is Dafydd - although some of the accents in the sketches aren’t genuinely Welsh, I think some of them pronounce his name reasonably authentically. Daithi you’d be able to confirm :slight_smile:

Barely worth the effort indeed - especially since when I say it it sounds a lot closer to “fvw”, which isn’t a sound in any language I know of.

Mispronouncing a name that someone just handed you the correct pronunciation of - a true WTF. Not as much WTF as what has been done to my last name, but definitely WTF. (Seriously. People have put letters in my name that are clearly not there. It’s a bizarre phenomenon.)

The only guy I was with who actually is Welsh in fact said the opposite - that there weren’t that many people who spoke it properly… however, he was from near the border where I expect there are fewer Welsh speakers than further into Wales. Where we were, all the people we encountered in shops etc were speaking English to each other.

It’d been ages since I’d been there so I’d forgotten that all the road signs, shop signs etc were dual-language. This letter is a classic example - the first half is a sentence in English, a sentence in Welsh. The second half of the page is split into two columns, one English, the other Welsh.

On the subject of names, my sister has a friend called Grant. Pronounced Grarnt - you know, Queen’s English and all that. However, what with my mishmashed accent having influences from the North of England, I have to really concentrate to not simply say “grant” with a flat a. To rhyme with “rant” as opposed to “shan’t”.

I hate the Southern pronunciation, but feel that it’s the guy’s name - I should pronounce it the same way he does.