Were images turned off because they were causing a problem, or only because they weren't on the old Dope?

Thanks. I tried, but I did it wrong, and didn’t know how to do it right. I think the issue is that I was supposed to put the end-quote marker on it’s own line. Too late now.

okay, WHY is the system automatically deleting the quote of the post I am replying to after I carefully out it there? And how can I prevent this annoying behavior?

That’s just what Discourse does. I know the behavior can be turned off.

How I get around it is to add a   to the very end of the quote.

[quote=“puzzlegal, post:22, topic:911578, full:true”]
okay, WHY is the system automatically deleting the quote of the post I am replying to after I carefully out it there? And how can I prevent this annoying behavior? 
[/quote]

Sam Stone wrote:

“The worry is that inline pictures will change the nature of the board.

The last thing I want to see is message threads where people substitute thoughtful responses for an animated GIF of someone smacking their forehead or looking shocked, which is the kind of crap that fills facebook and twitter.

On the other hand, there are legit uses for photos. For example, it’s pretty hard to have a discussion about photography without allowing the display of photographs. Economic and scientific discussions could be improved if we could embed a graph.”

I agree entirely.

Discourse is entirely too driven to show me what it wants to show me, change what I posted, and otherwise “Drive the user experience” or something. Sigh. I’m sure I’ll get used to it.

At least it’s gotten less unresponsive since I rebooted my router. That was really horrible. Really much more annoying than the 502 errors on the old board.

That was our problem a week or so ago. Had a corroded port on the pole outside. Pretty peppy now.

I’d go for photos in MPSIMS and IMHO, but not the other fora (or whatever they’re called on this site).

Being able to put graphs in GD or GQ would be a huge improvement.

Agreed!

Images sorta kinda work. Upload a file like normal, then take the exclamation point off of the link.

BabySin_Sleeping001|372x500

My take:

I’m with Sam_Stone, but am totally understanding that I could be wrong. In an online world saturated with images, I value being able to come here and read actual words. I value that I don’t have to dig through memes in order to find the core content of a topic.

Also, on a more practical note, threads full of images (and unpredictable ones at that) make it much harder to browse the Dope at work (well, once I’m not working from home anymore). Message boards with images clearly read as “not-work-related” even when viewed from a distance.

True.

The ideal would be to give the user the option of turning images on or off. (Which was a feature of vBulletin, although I don’t know if it was implemented.)

I have been using this site less and less over the years. Frankly, though, it was things like the old-school pre-social media design of vBulletin and the general discourse that kept me re-upping a subscription even if I didn’t use it as much. This social media design is enough to make me want to stop using it entirely.

If you quote the full post, and your post is the next post immediately after the one you’re quoting, Discourse apparently decides the quote’s not necessary and gets rid of it.

If you instead select some of the post, even if it’s nearly all of it, and click on the resulting quote bubble, then I think that doesn’t happen.

– I’d like to be able to see pictures in some threads, where they’re really useful, but not to see them routinely. I don’t know whether it’s practical to set this by forum, or whether it’s possible to set it by thread.

A pet pictures thread, and a wildlife pictures thread, and maybe one current-events thread with pictures? and as others have said, graphs in threads where those are useful. But I would like the board to be in the habit of using words as much as possible.

I’d prefer a majority of the board not have images. First, I mostly use mobile over-the-air and try to keep my data down when not on wifi. Second, my work office happened to be in a 4G marginally dead spot so it’s pretty much 50/50 if I’m reading the board 3G vs 4G. Things are slow enough without having to wait for non-text to download. If we enable photos (or gifs or embedded Youtube, etc), I really hope it’s limited to certain forums or even certain, well titled threads.

I’d really like to see images enabled in either ATMB or the new Site Feedback forum. It’s sometimes a whole lot easier for a bunch of posters new to a message board to show a bunch of mods new to a message board what they’re talking about with pictures.

Especially considering it seems so many people are seeing different things, it would be nice for people to show what is and isn’t working for them.

If Discourse allows, I would like to see the option to post in-line photos be available in all fora, but at the discretion of the thread OP. It would be even better if the in-line photos posted as thumbnails which can be enlarged by clicking.

Emojis are fun and they should likewise be allowed, with the full list available.

Animated gif profile icons are annoying and should not be allowed.

I’m warming to the idea of “like”/“dislike”, but tallying thumbs up/thumbs down would be better (and more gladiator-like). It may actually reduce clutter posts (e.g.“I agree”, “This!” etc.) yet give an indication of the general direction of threads.

:fu:

Definitely not possible without an add-on, and I haven’t seen one that gives the OP that kind of control.

There is an add-on for that, but I suspect that it’ll never be used here. April Fools Day, maybe.

Discourse doesn’t really have a dislike/thumbs-down. Not standard, anyway.

There is at least one feature of Discourse that takes each poster’s number of posts to a thread and the number of likes they’ve received in that thread to form a ratio. So not getting a like is almost like getting a downvote.

A picture can be potentially just as useful in GQ as anywhere else, e.g. “What kind of bird is this” or “What do you call this type of architecture (that I just took a picture of)…”. On the other hand though, if the ability to provide links to pictures that have to be clicked on remains, that should be sufficient.