Were you popular in high school

What the title sez.

And if you like, give an adjective or two to specify what you were in high school.

I was not popular. I was nervous.

I was so popular all the other kids hated me.

Nope, not popular. I had a boyfriend all through high school so I never developed other relationships. I would have been better served had I broadened my horizons.

Mostly flew under the radar. I had my close friends, but I wasn’t well known, nor was I harassed, which was good enough for me.

Gee, I guess I’m the first ‘Yes’.

Although…not in the Disney Channel traditional BMOC sense. I was very involved in everything I could be involved in and consequently knew everyone and everyone knew me.

That was me too. I mostly enjoyed school, I liked my friends, I liked my teachers, I enjoyed learning, I didn’t do whatever it is that makes popular kids pick on other kids - I did it completely wrong! :slight_smile:

I can’t really say yes or no…my high school was small enough that everyone knew everyone. Even the “popular kids” did, what I gather from some people, are traditionally “unpopular” things, like band, chorus, academic bowl, certain sports (ie, not football, basketball, or baseball) etc…

Hell, even two of the “coolest” kids in school would play Magic: The Gathering with the “nerds” during study hall.

I voted “yes” as well… it wasn’t in the traditional ‘hot stud to rule them all’ sense, as I was at least as big a dork then as I am now. But I was the captain of the soccer team, prominent in indoor and outdoor track, had a girlfriend for most of it, and at least got invited to most of the “good” parties (even if I was more likely to skip them for a LAN party). I had enough social connections through sports, clubs, and academics that the “cool” cliques would at least be nice to me.

I wasn’t being hit on by the captain of the cheerleading squad or anything, but I had plenty of good friends (a few of whom I am close with to this day) and I thoroughly enjoyed my HS years.

Painfully shy and withdrawn.

I’m gonna (regretfully) say “yes”.

Mentally I wasn’t popular…I thought I was a huuuuge nerd, never had a girlfriend, was in theater, and NOT a “cool kid”.

However as the unpopular kids went I could easily phase in between the really unpops, and the cool kids. Chalk it up to me being (apparently) funny. I would always call myself unpopular, then have someone who wasn’t tell me otherwise, using the example above.

I wasn’t one of the “cool kids” in that social circle but everyone knew me in my class and about 85% seemed to like me (maybe even higher). But I didn’t really stand out or try to. I was just a shy smart kid. Oh, I did sit at the outcasts Table though up to senior year. Actually, thinking about it, I guess I wasn’t really popular.

Not Popular.

everybody knew me but i couldn’t get laid to save my life. and i hung out with the burnouts, not the popular kids

On a sliding scale of popularity in high school, I was somewhere between leprosy and a sucking chest wound.

I was much too verbally aggressive to be popular. Instead, I was feared.

I was in an odd position in my Korean high school - everyone knew who I was because I was “that girl who’s lived abroad for so long and acts American.” The reason everyone knew who I was was this: every time I won a prize at some national competition, the school hung this huge ass banner at our school entrance. You can imagine how this was accepted by my peers. The school administration milked my achievements as much as they could, but this did not endear me at all to the other students, particularly those who really wanted to participate in such competitions but couldn’t (for some competitions, schools were only allowed to send one or two students).

I wasn’t particularly proud of my achievements - it wasn’t really a fair fight since I’d lived in the US for so long - but I needed those awards on my transcripts if I wanted to get into a good university. And I didn’t really have enough social grace at that age to charm my peers despite my, er, academic situation.

Anyway, I wasn’t a total outcast, but I did sometimes get random dirty looks in the hallways from students I didn’t know.

Voted Yes.

I had no problems getting laid, I knew where the parties were, I was captain of a sports team, and editor of the newspaper. My credentials read like someone who was desperately trying to go Ivy League.

Which I was.

Which I didn’t.

GO TERPS!

ETA: I moved amongst many social groups. This helped with “popularity”

Define popular. Everyone knew who I was, but I wasn’t in the cool group past junior high. And even when I was in the cool group, I was the oddball of it.

I shared S&S’s penchant for moving amongst many social groups. But I lost my confidence in myself to do so after I got mono, missed months of school, and four grandparents died. It wasn’t until almost the end of my senior year that I found out that I would have been welcome hanging out with almost anyone.

But I still was odd. People made a point of telling me this.

UGH… Don’t even get me started on high school.
I am deaf, and was mainstreamed to the MAX at a VERY VERY snobby high school. So snobby it would make private schools look open, welcomign and diverse.
The kids in my class weren’t TOO bad, but unfortunatly I have a very distinctive “deaf” voice. (think Marlee Matlin) which caused a lot of the prejudicated dumbasses to think I was mentally retarded.
I still shudder thinking how bad it was. On the upside, looking back it was a very dysfunctional enviroment. I know other kids who were “different” and they experianced the same thing. Also, let me put it this way. The pedophile gym teacher was POPULAR, but he gave me the creeps!

No, I wasn’t even the loser who hung out with the losers. Most lunches, down-times in between practice, and times when not doing anything at band camp* I was by myself listening to music and walking around. Most people probably wouldn’t have minded hanging out with me, but I’m too afraid to so much as say hi to someone unless they say hi first, even if I’ve known them for 5 years.

• No I wasn’t a “loser in band,” to put it in perspective, my high school marching band was bigger than my graduating class. If I was a loser for being in band there would have been no popular kids.

I had the weird experience of being a “freak” back in the early nineties. My sophomore year, seemingly overnight, my friends and I went from pariahs to at least peripherally popular when grunge went mainstream and all the other kids wanted to know where we got our doc martens and how we got our hair that color.
It was a bit surreal.