West Wing 4/9

The race is over! And the winner is … Santos!. Discuss.

We got all teary eyed over Leo.

I think we all did. And next week’s episode is looking like a real tearjerker.

And Rob Lowe is supposed to come back, right? RIGHT?

In the preview for next weeks show it looked like…

Toby was one of the pallbearers.

I wonder how they’ll work that angle into the plot or if they’ll just pretend it’s a non-issue.

Something with my HD service always screws up NBC’s shows, really annoying. anyone else have this problem? My sound gets screwed up when it comes back on the digital signal gets all choppy and cuts in and out. Not a problem on other channels, my West Wing DVR recordings are always a gamble.

Overall it was a somewhat weak episode I thought. We obviously all saw the Leo plotline coming so it wasn’t a shock, they handled it fairly well but there wasn’t a really memorable moment for me. I almost felt like they played it safe and went for an understated reaction which was OK, but I felt that considering this is the shows swan song they might have tried for something bigger.

Leo’s death also seemed to overshadow the election drama and results. Left me thinking that they shouldn’t have had the two events happening in the same episode. Considering the election results were the entire point of this season you’d have though they could have made a bigger deal of it. There wasn’t much drama around it for me, no cliffhanger, and no real twists. I suppose some outlandish corruption would have been somewhat out of character for the show, but I thought that maybe a Network calling a state too soon might have made an interesting twist (echoing real life of course). As it happened, the way they treated the networks calling a state as official and final seemed pretty weak to me. I find it hard to buy that these two campaigns would be sitting around watching CNN to learn the results.

Well, Himself & I are speculating that regardless of what Vinick said, the RNC is going to challenge the election anyway - they might wait until after the funeral (although I doubt it) but I expect a challenge anyway.

But yes, I was teary-eyed over Leo. I felt SO sorry for CJ having to be the one to tell the President…and the look on his face as he stood there, realizing his best friend was gone - dayum. :frowning:

It was a very cluttered episode, though. Good, but cluttered.

I actually liked the fact we got the result this week. I was convinced they’d roll that over to next week.

Finally. Man they were dragging it all out. And now they’re going to drag out Leo’s death.

Not a bad episode, though.

I doubt there will be much of a storyline about the challenge to the results: since Vinick said no challenge, it’s not going to happen. Beside, since the show is cancelled, it would only look like desperation; people have already grown tired of the election and don’t want to have it prolonged.

Next episode looks just plain awful though. I mean, I admired John Spencer as an actor and loved the character of Leo, but spending an hour moping about his death sounds really appalling.

The naming of the new VP is an interesting plotline, though. The DNC can name a replacement candidate. BUT, some states have laws that forbid electors from changing their vote on the first ballot. That would lead to votes being required to be cast for Leo – and that would mean the Republican VP candidate would lead in the voting, but not get a majority. It would go to the Senate, with the Republican VP candidate and probably the live Democrat. But the Senate is Republican. So the Republican VP would get in.

The Democrats, OTOH, would instruct their electors to vote for their newly designated candidate, even if the state law requires the electors not change their vote from what is on the ballot. The Republicans would challenge, whereas as the Democrats would argue that the state laws are unconstitutional (they are clearly against the intent of the Founding Fathers).

AFAIK, appointing a VP after being elected is not an option, since the Consitutution require the electors for VP choose him first. If they don’t choose anyone, it goes to the Senate.

That, at least, would give a plotline, even if it’s a bit too much Constitution neep.

We’ll see if the episode dwells on his death and the funeral, but I can see it being a good device to bring together the primary characters and resolve some of the dangling plotlines before the finale. It can serve as a good reunion type episode (which 98% of the time suck on most TV shows) without forcing some silly contrived situation. In a way the actors death might be fortuitous for the writers.

What do you mean, “some states have laws that forbid electors from changing their vote on the first ballot”? There isn’t any second ballot.

I think he means some states have laws mandating electors cast their ballots for the candidates they’re pledged for. Either the elector can be prosecuted or their vote is voided. In any event the state legislature can appoint electors without regard to the popular vote.

The election results were interesting compared to how I’d expect it to happen in the real world. For example, Vermont went Republican, while in reality, it’s pretty safely Democratic. And as the Democratic candidate was from Texas and the Republican from California, the results in those states were not as one would expect.

There can be if no one candidate receives enough votes from the electoral college. That was the original intent of the electoral college.

If there’s no majority in the Electoral College, then the House chooses the president.

Honestly I think it was pretty realistic. While Texas and California are pretty traditionally red and blue respectively, the only scenario where these two states would be too close to call is if the candidates were from the minority party in each state.

As someone who doesn’t watch West Wing anymore (it isn’t aired here), but has been curious as to how they’d handle Leo’s death, would anyone mind filling me in? Mainly curious as to how he died, how they found out (and, who told the President, but that’s already been answered).

Living in Nevada, it was fun to see us being the final swing vote state - and appropriate when Santos asked, “did we even campaign in Nevada?” Nevada voters aren’t exactly a priority in the grand scheme of Presidential elections, although with the growing population, that might change next time around.

Yeah - it was a three hanky episode, but I thought they handled it well. Not sure about next week’s episode, but my guess is there will be some new subplots before, during and after the funeral.

So sorry to see this show end.

I just searched for a link to prove you wrong and much to my surprise you are right! Color my face red. Makes the electoral college even more worthless than I thought.

He croaked off-screen (presumably heart attack), the squeaky blond midget found him and you hear her off-screen voice calling for help. End last week’s episode. This week, he was rushed to the hospital (again off-screen) and when Josh and Donna get there, the s.b.m. tearfully informs them on arrival “He died.”

Annabeth Schott

:rolleyes:

My mistake – I was conflating the Electoral College with the conventions. In any case, though, the rest is correct: the vote would go to the Senate, which has a Republican majority (in the show). Since the Constitutions specifies only two candidates, and whoever gets the most votes in the Senate wins, then we’d have a Democratic president and a Republican VP.

Unless the Democrats can get the Supreme Court to rule the laws disallowing vote changing is unconstitutional. There is a strong argument against it (it’s clearly not what the founding fathers envisioned), but it’s not clear cut.

Otherwise, the Democratic electors who are constrained by state law can vote for the new VP choice and just face the consequences. Or, I realize, they can all vote for Leo as VP; the constitution does not stipulate that any candidate for office be alive. :slight_smile:

I don’t think the states can change their method of choosing electors between election day and the Electoral College vote. It would be a very ugly precedent: any candidate who loses a state where his party had a majority in the legislature can nullify the votes of the majority of people in that state merely by changing the method of choosing electors.