Westerns and spam

Before the boards went down I started a thread in Café Society asking what the best Western film is. (I’d link to it, but…) After the boards went down I started a similar thread over at Fathom. I’ve ordered several Westerns from Amazon.com.

Yesterday I got an e-mail from “Jane”:

She didn’t say where she was from or why she was writing, which is a little suspicious. Also suspicious was her e-mail address: optonline.net.

This sounds as if someone found my posts or found out what I’ve been ordering and wants me to reply to “optonline”. If I do that, I suspect I will get more spam claiming “You have opted into this e-mail list.” Does that sound about right? Is this a new scam?

I didn’t reply. Sorry, Jane, if I’m taking this wrong; but it does sound a little fishy.

Optonline.com is a cable modem provider, so your guess may be right. I would use a dummy email account (hotmail is good, and free) if you respond.

In defense to the statement that “The Western is always about regret and it’s always about loss.”:

What movie isn’t?

Starwars- Darth regrets turning to the darkside, and Luke regrets the loss of Obi-Wan and his father.

Mallrats- Loss of a girlfriend

Clerks- Loss of innocence.

The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy- Loss of the Earth by both Arthur, and the Mice.

Pinnochio- Pinnochio regrets being not a real boy, and then his lying (nose growth).

Romeo and Juliet- Regret of not being able to express the true, but forbidden love, and then loss of each other.

Roadrunner/Coyote- The Coyote regrets always losing the roadrunner.

Bugs Bunny/Elmer Fudd- Same as above, different names.

And such.

My spam-sense is tingling, Johnny. Don’t do it, or use a spambait account on a server you don’t like (as Wonko said, it sounds like a job for Hotmail to me :slight_smile: ).

As to the question itself, “always” is generally an indefensible term when discussing literature (yeah, even Westerns can be called literature). In this case, the question is in trouble on the first word–the boundaries of the genre aren’t clearly defined. The only Western I’ve ever enjoyed, Calamity Trail by Dan Parkinson, contains both comic and fantasy elements. It’s certainly not about regret and loss–it’s more about cluelessness, naivete, and the advantages of being an elemental force of chaos.