There are flavors of bologna available-garlic, smokey, sweet etc., but I want y’all to come up with bologna flavors that you honestly think might taste good.
Neapolitan bologna loaf, anyone? ![]()
Nobody needs to see pumpkin spice bologna.
ETA: I think many of the Spam family of flavors would work well with bologna: Tocino, gochujang, jalapeno, Korean BBQ, etc.
But the question remains-What would be a good choice? Posted before your update, of course.
I would try herb based flavors like rosemary or sage. Cracked black pepper would work. Sun-dried tomato might be nice.
As a kid I was rather fond of olive loaf and its rarer cousin, pickle and pimento loaf.
I can’t believe I left out jalapeño/habanero
How about some new flavors, not fondly-remembered favorites from your past?
I don’t remember ever seeing bologna with anything I’ve mentioned except for the 2 variations I remember from childhood.
ETA: TIL that Oscar Mayer makes jalapeño bologna
Something new that you just thought of, not something you recall, please.
All of these came straight from my brain. A little searching reveals that none of them exist in conventional bologna (although searching for peppercorn bologna turns up beef bologna which around here is called Lebanon bologna and is very different from standard bologna).
All good ideas…except for maybe the crackered pepper. Doesn’t it need to be of a certain smoothness and consistency, and perhaps the cracked pepper might make it a type of sausage? I could be wrong on this point, of course.
See, I object to this on principle. Balogna shouldn’t taste like anything but balogna, which has its own, unique, traditional taste. So my flavor is, “balogna flavored balogna”. ![]()
Well, that is why I said cracked pepper instead of peppercorn. I thought of it because I always put mayo, salt and cracked pepper on bologna sandwiches. The aforementioned Lebanon beef baloney (which is not bologna) has whole peppercorns in it. And according to Wikipedia, bologna is a sausage.
Well…I sit corrected.
At the lunch counter.
Ah, yes, P&P loaf. That’s what we called both of those things. When I was a kid I didn’t realize it was ALL bologna.
I used to like olive loaf too. Sometimes I would extract the olive pieces and then eat them separately from the meat. It was like the Oreos of lunch meat. I haven’t seen olive loaf in years.
My absolute all-time favorite! Now I can’t find it for love or money.
My mom used to vary her selection of lunch meats in our school lunch sandwiches, but just the name of one was enough to dissuade me: head cheese.
Nice memories. Would you 'all like to add some new flavors to the mix?
I agree! If I’m going to eat a delicious bologna sandwich (on white bread with American cheese), I want it to taste like a bologna sandwich!