What about Iran?

A bit more disparity than that. The IRGC is not just a “law enforcement agency,” it is a state-within-the-state, with its own military forces and its own business interests.

I think that was mostly true until 2009. They have always had limitations on political parties and free expression, but they were a step above most countries in their region. That is partly why I think we missed an opportunity with Khatami.

If they are able to have free and fair elections next year, that may allow Iranians to keep moving forward (even if their path is not the same as Western ideals), but the actions of the current administration there keep lowering that probability. Unless the opposition leaders are allowed their freedom, including staging peaceful demonstrations, less than peaceful protests will keep building and we may see a repeat of Egypt or Tunisia, hopefully not Libya.

But overall, I think most are happy with their system. If Khamenei forced Ahmadinejad to resign and held new elections, that would probably settle most of the protesters grievances. But I see no indications of that ever occurring.

I know. :wink: