What about Macintosh computers hasn't changed in the last 25 years?

Personally I would just run an abacus emulator.

It’s almost as good, and much less hassle.

You run the abacus emulator inside your Commodore 64 emulator inside your Amiga emulator running under Windows XP in a virtual machine under Mac OS X on your new iMac with 8 gigs of RAM and a quad-copre processor and a two-terabyte hard drive. And you run Larn on the abacus. :slight_smile:

And it would probably be faster than on the original Commodore 64…

Oh wait, did you say in a Windows XP emulator? If it’s a faithful XP emulator, then no.

Come on, the most important bit of all has remained unchanged from day one.

The startup sound.

(Actually it did change a bit, but Steve changed it back to the original.)

There are some conceptual aspects that remain the same. Some of the file system semantics are retained, although the underlying implementation is very different. For instance files have identity, and file names are not case sensitive. These things cause untold grief when mapping to a Unix-like file system, because it isn’t possible to have a direct translation of semantics that is consistent.

Is the “sad Mac” still around?

The basic menu bar hasn’t changed much. The File / Edit / etc. menus are more or less the same, and they still follow the same policy of being at the top of the screen instead of being attached to a specific window (which can be confusing when transitioning between Macs and Windows).

The one button mouse of course. I dont care if OSX can handle multibuttons. I have a macbook with win7 installed and it has one single mouse button. Not two. I need to press down on the touchpad with two fingers to activate the right-click. Apple/Mac still believe in the HCI guideline of one button so much they wont even sell a laptop with two!

>The File / Edit / etc. menus are more or less the same, and they still follow the same policy of being at the top of the screen instead of being attached to a specific window (which can be confusing when transitioning between Macs and Windows).

This. And it makes no sense in a multitasking environment.

Theoretically . . . but of course that sort of thing never happens.

You mean trackpad.
Yes, Apple has only ever shipped one-button trackpads (unless you count the new machines which have no-button trackpads). Although one can argue the pros and cons of this forever, I’ll just say that I can’t stand two-button trackpads - I find them awkward to use, and find that I’m always doing a right-click when I don’t mean to. I think the two-fingers to right-click gesture is easier and more reliable.

I don’t understand what “And it makes no sense in a multitasking environment” this means - can you explain?

Could you elaborate on your criticism a bit? I’ve been happily using the Mac’s single menubar interface – while multitasking, even – for about 20 years. In fact I find per-window menubars (as used in MS Windows, KDE, Gnome, etc.) to be more cumbersome, and more cluttered.

But this is all a matter of taste, I’m sure. (We’re also getting further and further away from the OP’s question, but oh well.)

Wait, so you can’t just hit the right side of the button and get a right-click? How come it works that way in OSX (once you tell it to in the control panel, that is)?

Actually, this is one of the most incorrect answers in the thread, depending on how myopic you want to be. Yes, the mice and track pads have gone from 1 button to 0. But in terms of a mouse as an input device they’ve actually added a dozen gestures and have really taken to multitouch as a useful way to user input. Apple has gone from 1 button to a clicking motion and the ability to zoom, scroll, rotate images or flip through photos, and “right” or “left” click depending on what you do with your fingers. Apple’s mice, as input devices, has changed as much as anything about Macs have changed.

I haven’t seen a “sad Mac” in literally, years, and that’s with daily use.

>Wait, so you can’t just hit the right side of the button and get a right-click? How come it works that way in OSX (once you tell it to in the control panel, that is)?

The bootcamp drivers either dont support that or the hardware revision I have doesnt.