what all careers offer 3rd shift work, or flexible part time work

I know healthcare careers offer this, things like nurses and nursing assistants.

I also know that convenience stores offer 3rd shift work, as do some department stores.

What other careers offer this?

Many manufacturing plants run three shifts; automotive plants, paper mills, chemical plants, corrugated box plants, rubber manufacturers, steel mills, etc. Also police officers and fire fighters, the US Military, and other public service organizations, but those are more rotating or infrequent night shifts.

I guess that certain IT jobs need shift workers to keep servers and computers going. Also, the people who answer phones for companies like Earthlink and maybe AOL when their customers have software problems. ~WAG

ah hell no. im never going into IT, never never never never never.

Even if it PAY$ well?? :dubious:

It’ll pay well til they outsource ya to Bangalore to stay competitive!

Retail can offer some pretty flexible part-time hours.

It’ll pay well til they outsource ya to Bangalore to stay competitive!

Retail can offer some pretty flexible part-time hours. And you may be able to get overnight shifts if you can get in on inventory (unpacking stuff, putting stuff up, that kinda thing).

Ones I know people in: security guard, national chain copy shop that rhymes with “blinko’s”, emergency services (hence the TV show “3rd Watch”, about NYPD and FDNY on that shift), tech support, and fast food.

One that hasn’t been mentioned yet is air traffic controllers, but you have to be insane (or have a strong desire to become so) for that.

Most of my work is for an Australian state government. The following flexibilities are allowed:

• I don’t have a precise start time, lunch time, or finish time. As long as I work my required hours each work week, it doesn’t really matter when I do them (as long as it’s within normal office times, so I can communicate with clients.)

For instance, most Fridays I get into work extra early… then spend a two relaxing hours at lunch (like today!) to even it up.

• Hours worked in overtime accrue as time you can take off in the future. During busy periods, I may spend more than 50 hours a week at the office, but that’ll mean I’m entitled to take a couple days off (with pay) when things quieten down.

• It’s possible to sacrifice 20% of your pay for four years and then receive a year off work at 80% pay.

• Part-time work arrangements are supported, plus it’s possible to spend a couple days a week working from home using a laptop and dial-up connection.

Allowing this flexibility also works in favour of my employer: workers are happy to spend extra time at the office when things get tough, because they know they’ll be compensated with time off in the future. Also, employees also less likely likely to resign out of work frustration, since they’re given enough flexibility to work around their home lives, children, pregnancy, etc.