What are German dictionaries like?

Oh, and before someone comes in to say that electrical conductivity, for example, is not a compound noun, but rather a an adjective and a noun in sequence, I’ll just say it now: You’re not seeing the forest for the trees, and getting too caught up in high school English parts of speech lessons. Functionally, it is, in fact a compound noun–it’s an example of one of the most productive ways in which English generates compound nouns.

Electricalconductivity – big long word, just like they do in German.

Good points, guizot.

Just like English, only in German :smiley:

FWIW, dict.leo.org is a great website for translations between German and several other languages. They have a free mobile app too.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

this is a good Illustration of Giles post Nr. 2

Did you have a Problem with seperating the compounds - figuring out that spionagesatellit is from Spionage + Satellit or Elefantenkuh from Elefant + en + kuh; or was it just not listed? Because the second Problem was the same Problem I had in my English class: I couldn’t (in pre-Internet days) afford the Encyclopedia Britannia to look up English words (around grade 9 we were encouraged to use English-English dictionaries; the bilingual ones like Langenscheidt were forbidden, mostly because common words have so many meanings depending on context that dumb pupils looking at a list of 30 meanings and picking the first one get things very wrong), and the one-volume dictionaries did not list the words I was reading in English books, let alone explain context.

(That’s why I have Little tolerance for People complaining today about language practice in the time of Internet. There’s Wikipedia and Google! And urban dictionary … And if that doesn’t help, you ask People for words in Special context.)

That means to be in a funk, a low mood, right?

What’s a Brown building? A brownstone, I’ve often read as term in AE, but Brown building? Does it refer to a building named after a Person called Brown, not a building that is coloured Brown?

To be in a “brown study” means to be absorbed in thought.