What are some things you just can't live w/o?

My dogs & cats. My computer. Books. Art supplies.
And of course the obvious, food, water, oxygen, etc.

There are things I ***literally ***cannot live without: my prescription meds. In fact I once asked my doctor what would happen if I suddenly stopped taking them. He said “You would die.”

Other than that, I’d have to add my partner.

And after him, air conditioning in the summer.

Tea and cigarettes, definitely.

Followed closely by toothpicks and Ginger Ale, I’m addicted to both. There would be withdrawal, that’s all I’m saying.

I travel a lot in the thrid world for work. I always pack a pound of coffee, a french press, and a bottle of Tabasco. No matter where I end up, I’ll be able to get hot water for coffee and no matter what I am given to eat, I can make it better with Tabasco. With coffee and Tabasco, I can get by until I get everything else sorted out.

My prescription meds. Adequate water and a reasonable attempt at following the nutritional plan from my endo’s nurse dietitian [otherwise I would have to tweak my insulin]. mMy 2 microfiber plush blankets [pain issues sometimes make me hypersensitive to textures and regular bedsheets feel like sandpaper so I sleep between layers of microfiber plush. Also good for keeping warm if I get cool.] My laptop [it has all my ebooks and music, and assorted pictures. Also has 2 MMORPGs I currently play, and a few other games] and my droid [I can tether my laptop in a pinch, and I read ebooks on it as well as use it for communication] and a small suitcase with toiletries and clothing, and to hold everything else on the list [except food and water] though if I could have my car and the money to keep it registered, insured and maintained, with a small amount of fuel so I could drive it, I would be very happy.

Can we add a person? I really need mrAru also =)

Soap, wet wipes, and a toothbrush.

And reading material. And my cat.

Mr. Horseshoe

A/C in the summertime (I live in Texas - I would go homicidal, trust me)

Temperature-controlled showers

Nature (the ability to see the sky, touch leaves, watch birds, etc.)

Those are core to my sanity.

Vodka, smokes and somebody to talk to. Books are a given.

“MP3 Player”/Walkman/Discman type thing. Plus headphones, batteries, and choice music. These types of things have spoiled me – it’s a trivial thing, and not really a necessity, but my life is an inch tall without something like that when walking along the freeway to get to the woods.

Was going to say books, but I think sometimes they’ve become more of a compulsion than a ‘need’, and that it might be just as well to start listening and composing words without the crutch, (but with the benefit of my [aging] memory).

My smokes, my books, and chocolate in any form. Well nigh everything else is negotiable.

Dopers :wink:

Q

Hubster and I bought 36 acres in NE AZ, out in the middle of nowhere. We are of an age where “roughing it” of any kind is not even mentioned.

Add to the fact that Hubster is retired Army, and “camping” is something he DOES NOT DO.

We needed running water, flush toilets, and electricity. For LOTS of money, we finally got those. NEVER underestimate the value of flush toilets!

A repo mobile home supplied us with most of the other mandatory requirements. But we had to have water, septic and electricity to HOOK UP to the home.

After getting all that, THEN we got satellite TV and satellite internet.

NOW we can talk about coffee…

Prescriptions are nice, too, along with Vicodin.
~VOW

(bolding mine)

Do you buy your vicodin from the street corner? :confused:

I don’t see how civilization got by as long as it did before Kesha’s music was discovered. Kind of like electricity and penicillin. I know I wouldn’t want to go back to a time before Kesha.

Jerky and Beer

Universe and moi. :rolleyes:

So the majority say books…

Pretentious bastards…:wink:

To Ambivalid:

No, I get my Vicodin via prescription, and I rue the day the FDA took Darvocet off the market. Vicodin doesn’t hold a candle to the Almighty Darvocet.
~VOW

I am more attached to my sinus rinse than I ever thought possible. Could I live without it? Yes. But I really don’t want to.