What are the "2000's" called? Was an "official" name chosen?

I’ve yet to hear one. I’ve seen “the Noughties” used, but that seems pretty horrible and I can’t believe it’s accurate.

Sometimes its referred to as the millennium. I just say early two-thousands.

I presume once we’re into the twenty-teen’s it’ll make more sense to call them the “two-thousands”. I call 'em the aughts, but that’s just to sound like an old coot.

Just like 1901-1910 was “The Turn of the Century,” 2001-2010 is “the Millennium.”

I saw that in an article today and I actually winced. I’d use the ‘first decade of twenty-first century’ before I’d use ‘the Noughties’. It may be long winded, but at least its not ridiculous.

Nonono. They’re the “double-oughts.”

Nonono. They’re the “uh-ohs.”

When did the practice of naming decades start anyways? Did people in the year 1754 call that decade “the 50’s”?

There must already be a ton of threads on this issue but I cannot be bothered to find them. What I do know is that earlier this year a Dutch radio station did the ‘00s’ version of a nineties or eighties week and they called it ‘zeroes request’, which I thought was well found. I guess I might stick to that.

VH1 does flashbacks shows such as “I Love the 70’s.” When they did the first 7 years of this decade, they called it “I Love the New Millennium.”

The International Decade Nomenclature Council announced last Wednesday that the new decade will be called “Fred.”

You can stop worrying now.

What does this even mean? There is no universally recognized office or official given authority over choosing casual terms for arbitrary blocks of time.

We’ll have to wait until the French decide.

In that case, it’s going to be something like “the flowers” or “the gentle rolling hills” or “the pomegranates.”

It’s the decade when I didn’t get laid half as much as I wished.

Oh, wait, the others were that too.

We’ll have to find another name.

The Master speaks: What will the first decade of the 21st century be called? - The Straight Dope

<— Just stopped worrying. I really like Fred.

And even He was no help at all, though he had a few decades to reflect. I wonder what he thinks today?

It goes back at least as far as William Faulkner. In “A Rose for Emily” he describes Miss Emily’s house (paraphrased) as “built in the style of the seventies” – meaning the 1870’s.

I’m gonna have to go with “dickity”, as in “George Bush was President until twenty-dickity-eight.”